[modular-debian] Re: Getting started with qemu

  • From: Marty <martyb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modular-debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2014 18:41:06 -0500

On 11/09/2014 12:19 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
On Sat, 8 Nov 2014 18:54:05 -1000
Joel Roth <joelz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

For those who want to experiment with another OS,
virtualization may be much easier than actual
hardware.

Here is how I created a 50GB disk drive image. The raw format allows
the image to be conventionally mounted *without* qemu.

qemu-img create -f raw gobo.img 50G

Now, to install from CDROM image to the drive image:

qemu-system-x86_64 --enable-kvm -hda gobo.img -cdrom
GoboLinux-015-i686.iso -boot d

Later, after install is finished and exited:

qemu-system-x86_64 --enable-kvm -hda gobo.img

And when you want to read or write files using your native
OS (and qemu is not running on this image.)

mount -o loopback,offset=32256 gobo.img /mnt/gobo

Easy, huh?

The install was going fine, but aborted due to
an out-of-memory condition. Okay, I'll need to allocate
more of that.

Stay tuned!!

Joel

Thanks Joel,

This is good information.

Unfortunately, none of the distros and OS's I've tested had working
qemu. Not Openbox, not Porteus, and not pclinuxOS, which I was working
with tonight.

Did you try this?
https://packages.debian.org/wheezy-backports/qemu-system

I'll keep looking. The way I see it, a good Linux/BSD with a good,
hardware enabled qemu (or maybe even virtualbox) is all I need in order
to go on with my life. If OpenBSD had a working qemu, I would have shut
up and moved five months ago.

SteveT