[modeleng] Re: coocking oil.

  • From: "Jeff Dayman" <jeffdayman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 08:39:14 -0400

Hi Clif,

Not that easy I'm afraid. Here in Ontario the emission tests are province
wide, not just cities and towns. The program is called "Drive Clean".  (I
call it "Wallet Clean"). I'm not sure about the other provinces and
territories, but I do know how it works here.

Basically in phase one started in 2000, cars and light trucks ten years old
and older had to get a yearly "Drive Clean" emission test, cost $35.00. The
test takes 10 minutes. In phase 2 now, All cars and  light trucks 3-10 years
old need to have a test done every 2 years, alternating odd and even build
years. When these vehicles reach 10 years old they have to be tested every
year. Test is done on a roller dynamometer with a gas sniffer probe up the
exhaust tailpipe.

Diesel vehicles do not get connected to the test machine and only have to
pass a subjective test for excessive smoke, but owners still pay the $35
fee.

Vehicles with full time 4 wheel drive are exempt except for the $35 smoke
check, because the roller dyno only has rollers for one set of  wheels.

Only about 10% of vehicles fail the tests. If yours does , you can have the
repairs done and the vehicle retested toward a 'pass' certificate, at your
cost. Or you ask for a conditional acceptance in which case you can drive
the car for one year and have it retested but you can not sell or transfer
the vehicle without repairs/retest. If the vehicle fails again after the
year, you must fix it or scrap it. The data for the tests is tied into the
ownership database so you cannot get your ownership/ license plates renewed
unless your vehicle has passed the test. An emission test is done as part of
every safety check when selling every vehicle, so even if you had a vehicle
tested last week, and you sell it, you or the new owner have to pay for
another test at sale time.

The test itself is famously inaccurate and a magnet for fraud artists. When
I had my truck tested last year, the readout showed zero emission at 6500
rpm. The truck has a 5.2 L V8, redline is 5000 rpm, motor blows up about
6000 rpm, so no way was the truck running at 6500 rpm during the test. Also,
I think it's impossible that a V8 produces no emissions at high rpm. The
truck was built in 2001 and I am quite confident that it would pass any
test, but still, I think the test in this case was not done correctly. How
the gas sniffer used in the test works is a bit iffy, since often a car that
fails can be made to pass by changing air filter and engine oil, and running
a tank of premium fuel through it before testing.

Recently here in Waterloo an employee at a well known car dealer was
convicted of 200 counts of fraud by doing the tests on known good vehicles
off the car lot and substituting his clients vehicle info to the test
computer. He charged a cash fee for this and so many high performance or
illegally equipped vehicles not meeting provincial standards were issued a
clean bill of emission health. In one case a 1000 HP V8 engine in a small
car, with full time nitrous oxide gas injection was passed. Nitrous in a
road vehicle here is a big no no and of course increases NOX emission
enormously.

There is widespread call for reform to the system, and regular fraud
scandals, but as usual the provincial government does nothing about it
because they're making millions of dollars in fees for the tests.

I know I feel better that my province's emission tests stop maybe 1% of
truly polluting vehicles from operating, while in Asia millions of 2 stroke
scooters operating all day make more emissions than all the steel mills in
the world combined.

End of rant.

What goes on in the rest of the world for emission tests?

Cheers, Jeff Dayman Waterloo Ontario Canada