[modeleng] Re: Smokebox Innards

  • From: "Phill Smith" <steam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 23:55:43 +0800

Alan,

The petty coat is the convergent section of the nozzle (which is what you
were decribing as a venturi), and the chimney should always get larger in
diameter as you progress up (along) the chimney. This alows for the decrease
in velosity of the gas stream moves up the chimney. A straight chimney will
work (by all appearances quite nicely) but it will not work as well as a
expanding taper one, and hence cannot move as much air without the use of a
smaller nozzle (and hence higher back pressures).
Also, the steam, as it exits the nozzle, has 2 expansion cones. The first is
a cone of 1 in 6 (diameter to height), which must touch the sides of the
chimney (preferably an inch or 2 before the top, or longer) to create the
main "pull" up the chimney. The second is a cone of 1 in 3, which should
just touch the throat of the peticoat (smallest diameter section). The
second cone is mostly caused by the interaction with the surrounding gasses
(on the external surface of the first cone), which slows down the jet stream
and causes the increase in the jet streams area, and hence the second cone.

I really recommend that you read Henry Greenly's book "Model Steam
Locomotives". (edited by E.A. Steel in later editions) E.A. Steel was his
son inlaw.

Actually, I am surprised that you don't own a copy. He was a brilliant
engineer, and model engineer to boot.
He was also a POM, so you POM's should all have copies of his books. <GRIN>

If you want to know more about the workings of blast nozzles and chimneys
(including single, and double, and tripple pettycoat pipes) you know where
to find me.

Cheers,

Phill.