[modeleng] Re: Smokebox Innards

  • From: "Clif Walker" <clif.gwr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 10:06:11 -0000

Hi Tim and All,

The correct design of the petticoat bellmouth and the taper in the chimney
can make a heck of a lot of difference to the performance of the action of
the blast pipe.The actual chimney should not be parallel but after the
tapering in of the bellmouth to a choke diameter it should then taper out
again to the top of the chimney.The diameter of the Blast Pipe also comes
into the calculation.
I usually work to dimensions which were scaled from GWR practice and called
the Swindon Draughting.
If you want them I shall have to trawl through a huge pile of old ME's
because it's in there somewhere.
I usually machine the bellmouth in the lathe because you  need some sort of
spigot to fix it up inside the chimney.Sometimes I just do it by guess work
or other times by drawing a template,fixing it to the bed and having a
pointer fixed to the cross slide.By juggling the feeds the pointer then
follows the template and  the bellmouth is machined to the correct shape.

Let me know if you need the dimensions.

Regards

Clif