[modeleng] Re: Shed Roofing in U K ????

  • From: "alanjstepney" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 21:18:47 +0100

Although corrugated iron is not easy to find, or rather, it has to be
specially ordered not bought "off the shelf", we do have one corrugated
material that is readily available.
That is a mix of inert fillers bound by some tar-based mix.

Following this topic, I called a pal who is planning to replace his garage
roof, and who, when last I spoke to him, was debating the merits of various
coverings.

He eventually settled between two choices, this corrugated, what-ever-it-is,
and felt.
The cost of 3/4" board, covered with two layers of felt, the top one with a
sanded surface, and all properly bonded, was about 15% less than the
corrugated stuff, and that would only have been the single thickness of the
actual material, ad this less heat insulation.

Not hard to see why he settled on felt.

(I do like the expression,  "wriggly tin" though !)