[modeleng] Re: Question - maybe off topic- certainly academic

  • From: "alanjstepney" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 10:44:36 +0100

In one of my books I have a diagram showing the heat losses through the
water leg on a full size loco.
From what I recall, the theory is / was that the water in contact with the
wall would bubble as it boiled, and the circulation of the water would
replace it by some more.

Some of the boiler design software, particularly that of Bill Hall, gives
the rate of heat transfer.
I am sure that in most cases, once a boiler has seen some use, scale is a
bigger hindrance to it than is vapour.

Must admit that I have never heard of Nagaoka curves, but anything with a
name like that deserves to be right.

(I dont feel that it is off-topic, but it certainly is academic).

alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

www.alanstepney.info
Model Engineering, Steam Engine, and Railway technical pages.