[modeleng] Re: Model Engineer

  • From: "Charles & Dorothy Brumbelow" <cbrumbelow@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 06:31:06 -0600

I don't know how viable the modeling magazines are by themselves.  This may
be a case where the sum of the parts is more than the whole.  Or it may not.
May be that the market for machinist-related hobby magazines is drying up as
the original target market ages and drops out.  Live Steam in the states
recently changed its name by adding Outdoor Railroading to the title and
changed its focus by turning away from long multi-issue how-to articles.

A USA magazine, Modeltec, was a shoestring operation which went bankrupt and
was bought out but has yet to see an issue published or even an offer to
subscribe by the new owner.  Might be that irregular service and unfulfilled
subscriptions as it was going under damaged its reputation to the extent it
will never return.  A shame, as it was an interesting and well written
magazine (to me).

Charles