[modeleng] Re: Metals - on to sumpin else

  • From: "Terry Lane" <tel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 20:46:41 +1100

Hmmm........ going the remelt route might be the way - no sense in throwin'
out potentially good stuff.

Now for something completely different. Today I called in on my old mate
Dick, who's not long back from his jaunt around Blighty & Euro. Showed me a
music box he'd picked up in Austria & from the few clues we can gather from
it, it appears to have originated in thar country. Very old, but working
well. But here's the thing - the drum, which is about 1" dia by 2 3/4" long,
carries literally hundreds of pins which hit the keys? - these tiny pins are
no more than probably 0.005" in diameter & maybe 1/32" long. The drum cams
along to play four different tunes in succession. Now the question - just
how on earth were them that pins put in the drum and, for that matter, what
are they made of? They appear to be steel of some description, mounted in a
brass (bronze?) drum.

Oh, instead of the usual 16 or so keys, this thing has about a hundred or
so. Absolutely exquiste workmanship, bit I'd sure like to know how that drum
was made.