[modeleng] Re: Machining chimney bases.

  • From: Harry Wade <hww@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 11:54:01 -0500

At 01:11 PM 8/20/04 +0100, you wrote:
>I'm about to start machining the base of the chimney on my Elidir. [snip]
>I wondered if anyone had got any hints or tips about how to machine (?)
the rest of the base - or is it just a case of "filing lessons start here!"
>Dennis

Dennis,
      My own practice is to first turn the flange round.  I can then
indicate off that to find the center of the stack (or dome) which is also
the center saddle cut radius in one axis.  If approproate I also radius the
"short" (or fore and aft) flare of the stack base in the lathe.  This of
course imparts that same short flare at the sides of the base also, but
then this is where the filing lessons begin and I remove the remaining
metal with files or grinder and fair the curves into the lathe turned
portion.  What it will eliminate however is any as-cast surfaces in the
areas you machine.  It's a more difficult process to describe than to do
but it works very well.

Regards,
Harry