[modeleng] Re: Machinery order

  • From: peter.chadwick@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:06:35 +0200

In order:
Lathe, grindstone, milling machine, vertical drill, power hacksaw.

I've never had a lot of requirement for a shaper, or for a good tool
grinder - my skills are far to low!  As far as types are concenrned, I
think I'd go for good second hand industrial stuff, such as Boxford or
Colchester for the lathe and Tom Senior for the mill. The ML7 from Myford
can be a bit lightweight.

I went for new Chinese stuff when I set up my workshop; it's OK, but I
can't help but feel that a Colchester Student would be a lot better. Plus
the service from the supplier was very poor. I warned a colleague at work
about them, but he didn't take any notice and found their service even
worse, and neither of us would touch Chester again.

Peter Chadwick
(Temporarily in wet cool Stockholm)