[modeleng] Re: Machinery order

  • From: "R.L. Roebuck" <rlr20@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:22:51 +0100 (BST)

Hi there Alan,

I guess there's the traditional route, lathe, pillar drill, vertical
slide, and then when there's more cash a milling machine for those
building a steam loco.

For those building an electric loco, given that finished steel wheels can
be bought for the same price as raw castings now, I wonder whether
pillar drill, guilotene, bending rolls and sheet metal folder would be a
better start, with a lathe coming later on? With decent sheet metal
equipment I've been able to built in three weeks, what ten years ago (with
no sheet metal equipment) took me a year!

What do others think?

Yours,

Rich.