[modeleng] Headers and domes

  • From: "Tim Rickard" <the_viffer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:15:09 +0000

I'm fitting out a loco with a nice new boiler. Has anyone any thoughts on
the best fasteners for the wet header and the dome? I'm thinking terms of
either phospor bronze or cap head socket stanless in either case with a bit
of copper grease and a jacking screw provision. Anyone any thoughts or know
if I can get socket phospor bronze?

I know that with stainless I need to have blind holes in the boiler bush to
avoid electrolytic damage to the screw but what about pb? it seems to me
that by going all the way through I decrease the chance of breaking a tap
but increase the chance of a leak.

Also I've been told (and Johnson Matthey's website bears it out that brazing
stainless with Easyflo results in the likelihood of crevice or interfacial
corrosion in the presence of sulphur and therefore that one should use
Argobraze 56 instead. Anyone got any thoughts on this one?