[modeleng] Re: Harrogate Show

  • From: David Everett <deverett2003@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 00:08:50 +0100 (BST)

I went to Cabin Fever in York PA recently, even though I had to travel over
from Ireland.  CF caters mainly for north east US, and having previously
visited GEARS in Portland OR, which caters for the north west US, I have to say
the American expos are a refreshing change to the British shows that I have
been to.
The main difference is in the way the show is presented: over there it is
mainly individuals showing models they have built.   No club stands with
(sometimes) a club representative who frequently knows little about the models
on display.  There are some club stands, but they are in the minority.  If you
have a question about a particular model, you talk to the builder and he will
answer your questions about it, and if it is not already running - even on gas
or petrol type fuels (compressed air is laid on to all tables) - frequently the
exhibitor will fire the engine up.

The shows are not run as a competition, although they do have a 'Best In Show',
but that is chosen by the visitors (at least at GEARS) not by some rivet
counting panel of judges.  No anti theft wires.  Plenty of traders.  Great
atmosphere.

Bristol is probably the closest to being a show by model engineers for model
engineers.  I'm going to Guildford later this year for the first time and wait
to be impressed.

Sorry to be so negative, but that is the way I see it.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

From: Clifton <clif.gwr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi All,
Last Friday I went to the Harrogate ME Show.

On walking into the first hall which is normally packed with traders, the first
impression was what is missing. The answer was a lot of the normal traders, so
much so that in the centre there was a snack bar set out with seats and I even
spotted a stall selling sweets .

It seems that the internet has started to effect shows as the traders now find
that they can sell sufficient online so why bother with the expense of having a
stand.

Still overall it was a good show despite apparently Health and Safety shutting
down some Hot Air engines on their demonstration stand, as I believe because
they were gas fired.

Clif