[modeleng] Dickson toolholder

  • From: "Ron Head" <ron.head@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 21:17:12 +0100

Hi all

As we're short of topics, I'll see if I can start the ball rolling again.

Has anyone tried out the extended Dickson toolholder for the Myford lathe?
I've just been using one and I must say it's the best thing I've bought for
ages.  The Myford tailstock is a big clumsy lump of metal that prevents you
from getting the topslide close enough when turning between centres - even
angling the topslide round doesn't help if you are using a Dickson toolpost,
the tool just won't reach.  I'm currently turning up a batch of axles and
I'm not sure how I would have done it without the extended holder!

The old Drummond lathe had much better tailstock, with an offset base that
allowed the topslide to get up real close.  Since Myford took Drummond over,
and made their lathes under the Myford name, it's a pity they didn't
perpetuate the tailstock design for the ML7 series.

I'll get off my soap box now!

Regards
Ron