[modeleng] Re: Casting Questions

  • From: "JESSE LIVINGSTON" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 06:26:23 -0500

When I worked at the alumimium rolling mill in Jackson, TN back in the
1960s, one of the melting furnaces filled with 20,000 pounds of aluminum
developed a leak one night.  The metal was being held overnight (over the
weekend actually) and none of the casting machine operators were present.
Several of us machinists were sent over to see what we could do while they
tried to cool the metal in the furnace and when we got there there was a
huge layer of aluminium spread out on the concrete and more trickling out.
Floor was popping, but not as bad as you would think, and none of us got
burnt while we used a wet putty like material (probably asbestos based, this
was in the pre-EPA days) to build a low dam to contain the metal.  To cool
the furnace, they turned off the gas fire and pushed large ingots (sows)
into the furnace.

Jesse in Tennessee USA

 I have had first hand experience with exploding concrete floors.  As one of