[modeleng] Re: Casting Questions

  • From: "Bob Logan" <boblogan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 09:36:55 +1200

I would put about an inch of sand, just damp, over a concrete floor.  The
best foundry I saw, had a dirt floor, and the foundry that I started my
apprenticeship, ( that nearly killed me,) had a deep sand floor, I did get
to dig about eight foot deep, doing a Propellor for a steam ship, circa,
1950.

Charles,  Jesse, I never had problems of "bedding in"  'Boxes,' on a sand
floor, as you place 'box' down, wiggle and rotate, left & right, untill you
get 'box' level and down in sand.   Before iron ( bronze, alloys, ) is
poured, clamp 'boxes' or put weights on clear of " pour gate."

The Book, should be in all good district Public Libraries.   My local
library has two well thumbed copies.

Bob.