[modeleng] Re: Casting Questions

  • From: "JESSE LIVINGSTON" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 08:55:26 -0500

Charles,

The sand will not fall out of the mould if it has been rammed up tightly.
It is only necessary to screed it off level with the bottom so it will sit
steady on the foundry floor.  In my case, the foundry floor is the back yard
just outside the shop, but I actually sit the moulds on a wooden box that is
out there..

Sand in any form will not explode when molten metal hits it.  Unlike with
concrete, the moisture is able to escape through the interstices between the
grains of sand and all is well.  If wet sand would explode, then the mold
itself would do so when the metal is poured into it.  Concrete floors also
do not like to act as a back stop for cutting torch slag!!  Blacksmith shop
floors at railroads and other places have dirt floors because of hot metal
getting onto them.

Jesse in Tennessee