[modeleng] Re: Air pump

  • From: "Charles & Dorothy Brumbelow" <cbrumbelow@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 18:12:30 -0500

At one time (and maybe still), Jesse, some large air compressors for
commercial use (think rock drilling) were built using the equivalent of a
flat head Ford V-8 with the two inside cylinders on one bank compressing air
along with the two outside cylinders on the other bank.  I suppose the same
thing could be done with OHV V-8s.  Probably had special made intake and
exhause manifolds and likely a custom cam grind as well; just blanking off
the intake ports wouldn't seem to be enough isolation....  That would make
an interesting 1/3 or 1/4 scale model.

See http://www.weberprecision.com/ and
http://www.colespowermodels.com/challengern.htm

Charles