[modeleng] 3½ versus 5

  • From: Harry Wade <hww@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 11:53:19 -0500

At 08:38 AM 9/26/05 -0700, you wrote:
>around here in Middle Tennessee, the only available track is in 7-1/2"ga
>Al

Al,
   There is a reason for that.  40 years ago there were a number of
3-1/2"ga and a couple of 4.75"ga locos either built or under construction
in our area.  My first was to be a 3.5"ga British loco.  When what few live
steamers there were around here comgealed into a club (the MSLS) there was
only one local 7.5"ga loco under construction (IIRC) and the builder of
that one was elected president.  He promptly began to progagandize
(bludgeon is a better word) the rest of us with a 7.5"ga-ONLY agenda which
resulted in what we have today.  I'd have a few choice words for him today,
but back then I was the "kid" and didn't have much of a say.
    I don't know that anyone could complain about how it turned out, but
until he died the policy was 7.5"ga only, and no furrin' locomotives, and
that pretty much set the tone for policy today.  Smaller gauge track
facilities have been proposed, a la the Pennsy Live Steamers and others,
and practically every society track in England, but that ain't natural
apparently and has been roundly rejected by the "powers that be."  (Can you
suspect I have strong feelings on this? :-)
    I think the best advice so far is from IP, . . . . "you have received
all sorts of well intentioned advice but at the end of the day it is really
only you who can decide."  Among all the other parameters, choose what
makes you happy.

Regards,
Harry Wade
Nashville  Tennessee