[missbirdphotos] Re: American Bittern

  • From: Bob Vigne <tromboneman77@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <missbirdphotos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 02:32:51 +0000

Hi Dana,

Cool shot of the Bittern.

Using raw does require a bit of processing on every shot, to give it the pep of
a JPEG image. I feel that the power of RAW comes in when you take a picture
that is underexposed, overexposed or has other technical problems. You really
have control over the image to make it exactly as you envision. With JPEG the
camera makes those decisions for you.

You should be able to attach the raw file just as you would any other file. I
use hotmail so there is an attachments tab to click. I would go through the
same process you went through to attach the JPEG, just choose the RAW file.

Bob

Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 18:49:13 -0500
Subject: [missbirdphotos] American Bittern
From: danaswan@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To: missbirdphotos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Those of you who subscribe to Missbirds may have seen my photo taken this
morning of the American Bittern.  Here is another shot of it taken with the RAW
format.   It was taken about 9:00 am with the morning sun low in the sky behind
me.  If I can figure out how to do it, I would like to post the raw NEF photo
on drop box and let others see what they can do with it.   Although I have been
taking photos for 50 plus years, I am a newbie when it come to raw photos.  At
this point, it seems to me like a lot of steps to go through just to get to
what you could get to with far fewer steps with plain jpegs.    I know I must
be wrong but have not quite accepted it yet.
--

Dana Swan at Toccopola, Mississippi.
There are two kinds of men in this world.