[missbirdphotos] Conservation Photography Trip to South Alabama

  • From: Robert Smith <rsmithent@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <missbirdphotos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 23:25:10 -0400

Our friendly resident list-serve moderater said it would be okay to share this
photo opportunity with y'all... Gary Carter and I are getting ready for a trip
to southern Alabama where you can use pretty much every lens in your bag in 3
full days of shooting birds, wildflowers, reptiles/amphibians, and scenics.
This is our third year of taking groups to the Solon Dixon Forestry Education
Center.  We  arranged for two back-to-back weekends this year, and the second
trip is already completely FULL!   We typically shoot several migrant songbirds
- usually indigo buntings, blue grosbeaks, prairie warblers, northern parulas,
yellow-throated warblers, as well as some resident songbirds.  We'll spend a
couple of hours in a purple martin colony, and one afternoon in a red-cockaded
woodpecker cluster.  We'll spend 2 mornings in pitcher plant bogs (depending on
the condition in two different bogs); there'll be 3 species of pitcher plant,
3+ other species of carnivorous plants, and other wildflowers (including
potentially 3 species of native orchids).  Spring is a little early this year,
but that just means that we'll have a better chance than usual for native
orchids in the pitcher plant bogs!  We'll spend at least one mid-day shooting a
number of captive reptiles & amphibians in their native habitat as well. We've
had everybody from brand-new photographers to established professional nature
photographers on this trip, and they all had a great time & came home with a
LOT of photos they were happy with.  A 300 mm lens is the minimum I'd try to
take some of the bird pictures with, but a larger number of "keeper" shots will
be taken with a 400 mm or 500 mm lens.  We've had several folks shoot the Sigma
50-500 (aka Bigma) on this trip.  Renting a lens that you want to try out &
bringing it on this trip works well too.
We've still got openings for the April 13-16, 2012 weekend near Andalusia, AL.
The cost is $475 per person to include all food, drinks, & a double-occupancy
room.  Full information and some example photos from past trips is also located
here: http://photobiologist.com/v/workshops/solon2012/

Feel free to forward this to anyone you know that might be interested, and if
someone is interested, we need to know pretty quick to finalize arrangements in
south Alabama.  If somebody comes for the first weekend, and wants to stay an
extra day or two, we can arrange that as well.

Robert Smith

336-339-3497

rsmithent@xxxxxxx

www.photobiologist.com