[missbird] Re: "New" abbreviations

  • From: JR Rigby <jr.rigby@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jlyancy@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 14:40:15 -0600

Hi Jesse,

These four letter codes are used by bird banders and often as shorthand
among birders. They suffer from being easier to use than to decipher
because most of them are constructed in a very regular and easy to remember
way (but this often leads to use of incorrect codes where they deviate from
the pattern... adding to confusion).

The codes and their decoding are available here:
http://www.birdpop.org/DownloadDocuments/Alpha_codes_tax.pdf
Just use a simple ctrl-f search to find the common name or code of interest.

There is also a recent and exhaustive set of commentary about usage of
these codes by birders available on the ABA Blog:
Rich Wright: http://blog.aba.org/2014/12/the-code.html
Derek Lovitch:
http://blog.aba.org/2014/12/open-mic-the-deal-with-alpha-codes-part-1.html
Derek Lovitch Part II: