[mira_talk] Re: miramem under-estimate

  • From: Tony Travis <a.travis@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 10:04:15 +0000

On 23/11/10 07:45, Bastien Chevreux wrote:
On Montag 22 November 2010 Laurent MANCHON wrote:
Genome assembly is a big problem moreover when you have more and more
  reads, i just got a genome of 400 Mb finished and I can tell i was
  monitoring the RAM of the server for many weeks...
I have used the latest ABYSS with 320 millions of reads.
[...]
I have tested Mira for Paired-end assembly and with million of reads
mira is a beast that consumes a lot of RAM ...and has a bad memory
footprint.

Yeah, there are a couple of things MIRA is not good at ... working with>20 to
40 million reads is one of them.

I think the future of (de-novo) sequencing will not stay with short reads.
Therefore I'll work on improving behaviour with ultra-high read numbers
gradually, but put my priorities on a couple of other things.

Hi, Bastien.

OK, I took your advice, and stopped my MIRA assembly of 20 x 10^6 50bp paired-end Solexa reads from a bacterial metagenome - I'm now running:

mira -project=meta \
        -fastq \
        -job=denovo,genome,normal,solexa \
        -GE:not=8 \
        -SK:nrr=8
This is MIRA V3.2.1rc2 (production version).

MIRA has completed Pass: 1, with a memory footprint of 28.8GiB in ~12h.

Thanks for your help,

  Tony.
--
Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Rowett Institute of Nutrition
and Health, Greenburn Road, Bucksburn, Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK