[mira_talk] Re: miramem under-estimate

  • From: Bastien Chevreux <bach@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 08:45:50 +0100

On Montag 22 November 2010 Laurent MANCHON wrote:
> Genome assembly is a big problem moreover when you have more and more
>  reads, i just got a genome of 400 Mb finished and I can tell i was
>  monitoring the RAM of the server for many weeks...
> I have used the latest ABYSS with 320 millions of reads.
> [...]
> I have tested Mira for Paired-end assembly and with million of reads
> mira is a beast that consumes a lot of RAM ...and has a bad memory
> footprint.

Yeah, there are a couple of things MIRA is not good at ... working with >20 to
40 million reads is one of them.

I think the future of (de-novo) sequencing will not stay with short reads.
Therefore I'll work on improving behaviour with ultra-high read numbers
gradually, but put my priorities on a couple of other things.