[mira_talk] Re: building 4.9.5 with gcc 4.4.7?

  • From: "Langhorst, Brad" <Langhorst@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 01:46:49 +0000

On Oct 28, 2015, at 9:39 PM, Bastien Chevreux <bach@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Just for mirabait?

Yep, just for mirabait.

Interesting what a single post can do. In short, the next release of MIRA
will have a revamped mirabait, with a 2^31bp limit in sequence lengths, but
which also will be quite a deal faster.

30kb limit in sequences? Oooops, I was using old routines. Changing to new
ones drops the limit and gives instant 25% boost in baiting speed.
Hmmm, loading takes quite long? A few tweaks here and there doubles the

These two steps alone reduce runtime by 40%.

But then … why is the baiting step not multithreaded? Oh wait, a simple
version is trivial to implement.

Result: with 4 cores, the new version is now 3x faster than the old one. Yay.

Bastien:

Wow … just wow.
This tool is so useful, and I thought it was fast already.

Thanks!

Brad