[mira_talk] Re: Upgrading my desktop

  • From: Bastien Chevreux <bach@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2014 21:57:11 +0200
On 31 May 2014, at 23:58 , Adrian Pelin <apelin20@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> For bioinformatics I suggest dual or quado AMD Opteron(tm) 6376 CPUs, they
> each have 16 cores. MIRA doesn't speed up much with the more cores you use, I
> think the plateau was at 8 or 16, I remember someone discussing this. You
> also need more RAM, 256 GB will soon be a bare minimum.

One thing to remember when upgrading RAM is to go for ECC RAM. I'll just point
at

  http://itscalledbioinformatics.blogspot.de/2012/12/death-of-atinseq-bug.html

and

http://itscalledbioinformatics.blogspot.de/2013/01/crunching-on-big-data-make-sure-you.html

> I would be very surprised if MIRA was CUDA enabled.In fact, very little
> things are. I only know of a few bayesian phylogenetic analysis methods.

Nope, no CUDA or similar, not even SIMD. Sorry.