[minima] Re: Re Minima-Schematic-Revisions

  • From: Eldon Brown <eldonb46@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 07:39:41 -0700

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 12:21 AM, Hugh Kilfoyle <kilfoyle@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I wish to support Mac's view that a version incorporating the changes
> outlined in the "Essential Modifications Errata & Notes" web page, plus the
> J-KISS version 3 mixer, be finalised now and identified as version 1.1.
>
> The name Minima implies a no frills design.  I realise that some of the
> proposed modifications will enhance the versatility, performance and ease
> of use but will on the other hand add complexity that some builders may not
> want.  Perhaps a more advanced design could be called the Maxima.
>
> I have looked forward to instalments of Mac's excellent construction guide
> with the same eager anticipation normally reserved for the GQRP Club
> magazine 'Sprat'.  It would be a great pity if Mac was put off continuing
> his guide because the basic design remained in a continual state of flux.
>

> 73
> Hugh ZL1UEM

I also agree, I think, retaining a historical perspective of the Minimal is
very important, to support current Build Projects, in progress Publication
and Documentation efforts

I suggest the following Revisions:

Minima Schematic Rev 1.0 - "The Classic Minima" as drawn and published by
Farhan, along with the original Arduino Sketch.

Minima Schematic Rev 1.1 - Corrections to the original Schematic, using the
original tools to re-draw the schematic.

Minima Schematic Rev 1.1a - Suggested Modifications to the KISS Mixer -
again using original tools.

Minima Schematic Rev 1.1b - etc, Maybe another KISS Mixer revision, or
commercial Mixer.

Questions:

Who will be drawing and publish these Revisions using original tools, and
what is the expected availability date?

Who will be drawing the NEXT generation of schematics using Open CAD/CAM
Tools, and what is the expected availability date?

My suggestions,  For the Future:

Minima Schematic Rev 2.0 - The schematic should be drawn using Open CAD/CAM
tools (maybe KiCAD), but retaining the original layout as much as possible.
This schematic should be usable by hobbyist or manufacture to produce;
"point-to-point", "Manhattan Style", "Ugly Style" of other wired projects,
or it can be used directly to produce PCB's if desired. This revisions
should include the following simple and mostly "Classic Minima" compatible
modifications:

o Single wire Rf386 Bandpass Filter Selection move to pin PC0

o Additional six buttons parallel to the original FN button via a 47K/4K7
resistive ladder; Left/Right, Up/Down, ALT, and the Encoder Pushbutton.

o Rotary Encoder pins "A" and "B" connected to PD6 and PD7, pin "C" (the
included encoder push button) should be as above.

All future, Minima Schematic 2.0xx Revisions should be as compatible as
possible with the original Classic.

The 3.0 Revisions designation should be reserved for a future orthogonal
Engineering directions.

An FYI

We have a large group of QRP and Minima enthusiast in the US Pacific
Northwest (PNW) and will be expanding on the Minima and Schematic in
directions of local interests. We will using something like "Rev 2.0,PNW"
for our additions or modifications. The initial additions that come to mind
are; a second Si570 to replace the BFO, and a software DDS to replace the
SideTone Oscillator, and other modifications to support other areas of
interest.

There are many divers Minima interests in our local group. My personal
interest, is micro-miniaturization of the circuit using that smallest parts
available on very dense PCB's.

Note: Our local PNW interests will not detract from our support of the
general Minima Projects.

Regards,
Eldon Brown

73 - Eldon - WA0UWH - http://WA0UWH.blogspot.com/