[minima] Re: Experimenting with the crystal filter

  • From: Thomas Sarlandie <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 02:42:28 -0800

Clark: I had a face-palm moment when I got your email. This is obviously a
much simpler solution. Thanks a lot.

Farhan/Jerry: I read EMRFD on return loss bridge and this page too:
http://www.qrp.pops.net/RF-workbench-3.asp but I am still not sure how I
would measure the output impedance of the dds. If you have some more links
or quick suggestion, that would be very helpful. Thank you.

I used Clark technique to measure the output impedance of the DDS and found
100 ohm again (not a big surprise). I then built an L circuit to match it
to 50 ohms. I did not have the perfect parts available so I ended up with
39+i.14 calculated (66 ohms measured with the pot).

I took the time to graph the filter response:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0As9CZnZ-A5a2dEZaM1dlWVdVX3pXaUlJMXd0cHNscHc#gid=1

I get a center freq of 20,002.5 kHz, a 3dB bw of 5 kHz and a ripple of 2.2
dB. If you have feedbacks on my method or if you think I goofed somewhere
please feel free to point it out. I will probably try again with matched
crystals ... and a better idea of what I am aiming for.

One thing that still puzzles me is the insertion loss. I get about 10dB
when Mark reported 3 dB. I am not sure what could explain such a big
difference.

thomas