[minima] Re: Experimenting with the crystal filter

  • From: Mark G0MGX <mark.g0mgx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 09:42:23 +0000

Interesting reading list!

Just shows you - I suspect the filter you have now is just great.

On 24/01/2014 09:34, Thomas Sarlandie wrote:
Mark,

No, I had not. I have a bag coming. I will experiment with the circuit and method (inspired by g3uur) shown in the ARRL handbook. I also found some interesting doc online: http://pages.suddenlink.net/wa5bdu/crystal_slide_show.pdf and http://openqrp.org/?p=418. I am traveling this weekend but that should give me some good theory to be ready when I come back.

I will probably move on to another stage before I get back to it though.

thomas

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 1:28 AM, Mark G0MGX <mark.g0mgx@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mark.g0mgx@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi Thomas

    That looks much better!

    I don't remember if you said you had matched the crystals or not?

    Mark
    G0MGX

    On 24/01/2014 09:24, Thomas Sarlandie wrote:
    Hey,

    It occurred to me this morning that I had measured the output
    peak-to-peak voltage of the DDS in open circuit and calculated
    the power like if it was 50 ohm terminated...

    Sure enough with a 50 ohm termination (after the L-match), the
    output power of the circuit is -5.9 dBm and the characteristic of
    my filter much more normal:

    2 dB bandwidth: 4.50 khz
    Insertion loss: -5 dB

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0As9CZnZ-A5a2dEZaM1dlWVdVX3pXaUlJMXd0cHNscHc#gid=1

    lesson learnt!

    thomas

    On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 3:56 AM, Mark G0MGX <mark.g0mgx@xxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:mark.g0mgx@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        Hi Gang

        I just pulled 8 crystals out of the bag and built another
        crystal filter without attempting to match them - just out of
        curiosity.

        The sweep is attached, the -2dB bandwidth is 3.5KHz and the
        insertion loss 4dB (the tracking generator is at -20dBm).

        The sides of the filter don't look quite as steep but it
        still looks pretty good without any matching - maybe I got
        lucky? Certainly can't explain why you are seeing a 10dB
        insertion loss - that's very high.

        Mark
        G0MGX

        On 23/01/2014 10:42, Thomas Sarlandie wrote:
        Clark: I had a face-palm moment when I got your email. This
        is obviously a much simpler solution. Thanks a lot.

        Farhan/Jerry: I read EMRFD on return loss bridge and this
        page too: http://www.qrp.pops.net/RF-workbench-3.asp but I
        am still not sure how I would measure the output impedance
        of the dds. If you have some more links or quick suggestion,
        that would be very helpful. Thank you.

        I used Clark technique to measure the output impedance of
        the DDS and found 100 ohm again (not a big surprise). I then
        built an L circuit to match it to 50 ohms. I did not have
        the perfect parts available so I ended up with 39+i.14
        calculated (66 ohms measured with the pot).

        I took the time to graph the filter response:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0As9CZnZ-A5a2dEZaM1dlWVdVX3pXaUlJMXd0cHNscHc#gid=1

        I get a center freq of 20,002.5 kHz, a 3dB bw of 5 kHz and a
        ripple of 2.2 dB. If you have feedbacks on my method or if
        you think I goofed somewhere please feel free to point it
        out. I will probably try again with matched crystals ... and
        a better idea of what I am aiming for.

        One thing that still puzzles me is the insertion loss. I get
        about 10dB when Mark reported 3 dB. I am not sure what could
        explain such a big difference.

        thomas

        On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 2:18 AM, <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

            The return loss bridge is one of the handiest tools on
            my workbench.  I
            got my design from chapter 7 of EMRFD.