[MikesWhatsNews] MWN #574

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mikeswhatsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 17:00:17 -0700

MikesWhatsNews, 16, 10, 2002
in today's issue #574
Free Tee Cee Trick or Treat Puzzle Game
Outlook Express hole patched
Symantec Webcast on W32.Bugbear@mm
Jelly Belly Sample
Minute Timer 1.1
NotesPad
CCC       Free Forwarding Address
         Why Doesn't the PrtScr Button Actually Print the Screen?

Free Tee Cee Trick or Treat Puzzle Game
http://www.freehalloweenscreensavers.com/puzzlegame5.htm
"How to Play"
This Puzzle can be played on-line with any Java Enabled Browser.
Click and Hold pieces to move to the correct postion. This one designed
for the Intermediate Puzzle Player. Recommeded Browser Internet Explorer
4.0+ and Netscape 4.0+. Please be patient as Puzzle completely loads
From; www.freehalloweenscreensavers.com

Outlook Express hole patched ~ October 15, 2002
http://www.pcflank.com/news151002.htm
Microsoft has released a patch for what it calls a 'critical security hole'
in Outlook Express.

Earlier a Redmond-based company warned Outlook Express users that a software
flaw could allow an online attacker to control their computers.

"Outlook Express ships with every Windows system, or rather as part of IE,
so it's on every system. But unless it is configured to receive mail, you
are not at risk," said Scott Culp, manager for Microsoft security response.

Microsoft does not provide details on the cause of the vulnerability but
said an attacker could introduce specific data via the secure Multipurpose
Internet Mail Extensions (S/MIME) encryption method, then sending it to
another user.

The flaw occurs in how the software handles messages that include components
using S/MIME, a standard that allows emails to contain encrypted data and
digital signatures.

An advisory released on Thursday includes links to a patch;
<http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/q328676/default.asp>
for Outlook Express 5.5 users and Outlook Express 6 Gold users. Anyone who
has already downloaded and installed the Internet Explorer 6 service pack or
the Windows XP service pack announced on Sept. 9 already have the patch,
according to the advisory.

The company updated the advisory, its 58th this year, on Friday morning to
explain an error message that appears on computers that have Internet
Explorer 6 service pack 1 already installed if the user tries to install the
new patch. Microsoft stated that the message--"This update requires Internet
Explorer 6.0 to be installed"--is incorrect and should say that the patch is
not needed.

From; PC Flank

Webcast for W32.Bugbear@mm!
Register now to view the free Symantec Webcast on W32.Bugbear@mm scheduled
for Thursday, October 17 at 1:00 PM (PDT). Click here to register. <<
hyperlink on web page >>
<http://enterprisesecurity.symantec.com/Content/webcastinfo.cfm?WebcastID=3
5>

Halloween Special: Jelly Belly Sample
http://jellybelly.jellybelly.com/SurveyNew/survey_intro.asp
What's Halloween without candy? This site is giving away 600 samples of
Jelly Belly candy every day. Note: there is no ideal time to apply for
the sample (as the deadline is randomly changed daily) so if you don't
succeed, try, try again. (US and Canada only.)
From; AAANetworkNewsletter-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxx

Minute Timer 1.1 ~ free
http://www.pc-tools.net/win32/freeware/gui/
Minute Timer (MinTimer) is a general-purpose, simple desktop count-down
timer and alarm.
It's easy to use and is perfect for reminding yourself to do certain things
-- like getting up from the computer and stretching your legs (for example)!

The timer now has 0.5 second accuracy over any interval, no matter how
large.
++
From; http://www.pc-tools.net

NotesPad
http://www.newbie.net/NotesPad/
"NotesPad is a sensational Windows NotePad replacement ... amazing!  It
offers so many options it's like getting behind the steering wheel of a
foreign car -? it does so much you almost don't know where to start."

Christies Computer Corner thanks to Christy;
<1stPicksoftware-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Free Forwarding Address

You've no doubt received several change-of-address messages from
friends switching e-mail accounts, and you know how confusing it
can be to keep your address book up to date. When it comes time
to change you e-mail address, check out Re-Route
[ http://www.re-route.com ], a free e-mail forwarding service
that will send messages addressed to your old account to your new
one. Re-Route will also send a notice to the mail sender,
reminding him or her of your new address. This service gives your
friends a break as they update their address books and creates a
safety-net for you to catch messages that might otherwise have
been lost in the shuffle.

~~~~~~~

Why Doesn't the PrtScr Button Actually Print the Screen?

Windows takes over the Print Screen key (labeled PrtSc, PrtScr,
or something even more supernatural on some keyboards).  Instead
of sending the stuff on the screen to the printer, the Print
Screen key sends it to the Clipboard, where it can be pasted into
other windows.  If you hold Alt while pressing Print Screen,
Windows sends the current window -- not the entire screen -- to
the Clipboard.

If you really want a printout of the screen, press Print Screen
and send a picture to the Clipboard. Then paste the contents of
the Clipboard into Paint and print from there.

Was this forwarded to you ?
Get your own subscription here:
<1stpickPCtips-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Antivirus software is a good choice to scan your system for possible viruses,
however no virus scanner is 100% effective as manufactures cannot keep up with
the rapid change of viruses that happens daily.
Be sure to update yours regularly.
http://www.hackfix.org/software/antivirus.html
Please feel free, to offer constructive criticism, as that will help me keep it
interesting.
I also welcome any submissions about new products, web pages, or articles of
interest.

All submissions posted in MWN will be given proper credit.
"MikesWhatsNews" believes in giving credit where credit is due but at times
deadlines and information that is very important to readers we accidentally
misspost an item.

If you believe something to be miscredited, or you know the author of one of
the articles which we have posted as 'unknown', please do let us know so we can
correct the information where applicable.

Many times in a article you may see a click here for more information, or to go
to a link, these often will not work, as the original information, was taken
from a page with HTML links. This is when you will want to go to the webpage
indicated in the article, ++ ,for 'the rest of the story'
***MfM*** indicates that I am adding my own information to a particular
article.
                         `~*~*~*~*~*~`
Mike ~It's a good day if I learned something new.
You can read a sample of my newsletter on my web page http://www.mwn.ca
My virus pages ~ http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
mytech@xxxxxxxxxxx
~*~*~*~*~
Was this forwarded to you? Want to subscribe? Send an email
to mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info mikeswhatsnews" without
the quotes.

If you wish to unsubscribe from our list send an email to
mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe

mikeswhatsnews-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                              ~*~*~*~*~