[MikesWhatsNews] MWN #573

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mikeswhatsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 17:04:38 -0700

MikesWhatsNews, 15, 10, 2002
in today's issue #573

Build Your Own PC
Think Computers
Panorama 32
Clip Art for Kids
Copying Machine v1.24
One Web Browser
Alien Tiles
CCC      UnClean
        Shutdown for lazy people

Build Your Own PC ~ by Eric Legge
http://www.legge40.freeserve.co.uk/Build.htm
This article consists of six pages.
You can access the other five pages by clicking the relevant hyperlinks
(on the web page).

Page 1 - The Introduction & the Case Page
Page 2 - The Motherboard, Processor & RAM
Page 3 - The Disk Drives Page
Page 4 - Peripheral Devices & Expansion Cards
Page 5 - The Modem
Page 6 - The Assembly & Installing Windows
~~~
Introduction

Buying compatible components for a PC, assembling them correctly, installing
an operating system, and getting it to run properly is becoming easier all
the time as the components become more and more integrated and easy to
install.

Why? - Because Windows 95 / 98 / Me / 2000 / XP are all Plug and Play (PnP)
operating systems that detect PnP devices and load their software drivers
automatically - most of the time - either from within Windows itself, or
from a CD or floppy disks. And now both AMD and Intel have reverted back to
socketed processors, which are much easier to install than their slotted
predecessors.

However, note that I have read that with Windows 2000 and (its derivative)
XP installed, you should have the BIOS setting PnP OS Installed disabled to
allow the BIOS to take care of the hardware settings.

This setting is usually found in the PNP/PCI Configuration page of Award
BIOSes, and the PCI /Plug and Play Setup page in AMI BIOSes. With a Windows
9.x operating system installed, it is best to have the setting enabled, but
the system will work with it disabled. - Consult your motherboard's manual
for information on the BIOS. If you are having trouble installing hardware
on a Windows 2000 or XP system, check this BIOS setting.

You can also purchase all of the items that make up a PC, often at bargain
prices, new and used, on auction sites such as eBay. Look under the letter A
for auction-related sites on the Links page of this site.
++
From; Eric Legge
http://www.legge40.freeserve.co.uk/BuyerBeware.htm

Think Computers
http://www.thinkcomputers.org/
Everything about computers, programming, games, software, hardware
Lots of links to case mods, how too's and reviews

Panorama 32 ~ free
http://www.ivory.org/index.html
Program Highlights
Panorama 32 is an unobtrusive, but powerful and flexible, Wallpaper Manager
for Windows 95 and Windows NT.

Support for JPEG, GIF and PNG files! Use JPEG, GIF and PNG files as
wallpaper.
Change your wallpaper at any interval--from every second up to every 24
hours.
Runs in the Explorer's Tray Notification Area (The System Tray). If you want
it to, of course.
The wallpaper may be changed in random or sequential order.
You can choose to automatically tile small bitmaps.
Automatically search your hard disk for image files.
Supports MS Plus! scaling.

Clip Art for Kids

If you're children are in the process of building their own
web site, you probably would like to supply them with some
appropriate graphics. One place to find some nice Clip Art
for children is the Discovery School site. They have Clip
Art that your kids can use at home or for school projects.

Don't forget to check the copyright requirements when using
any Clip Art.

Discovery School is at Discovery.com. Click here.
http://school.discovery.com/clipart/

Thanks to; Christy

Copying Machine v1.24
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jlmmaas/files/copymach124.zip
1.3Mb (Win9x/2k/XP) Freeware

This nice little tool. If you have a scanner & a printer...it can combine
the two for you and make you a photocopier. And the best thing is that it is
so easy. Copying Machine is quick, clean, configurable, and convenient. Now,
I think I'm seeing double. "You can save the images to disc so you can make
copies of them in the future without having to scan them again. You can also
make a selection on a page in order to zoom in on a particular part. Another
feature is that you can align an image so it is perfectly centered when
printed."

http://www.xs4all.nl/~jlmmaas/files/copymach124.zip

Taken from WINDOWS TIPS 4 ALL:
wintips4all-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxx

The Browser Has Landed ~ free
http://www.offbyone.com/
The Off By One Web Browser may be the world's smallest and fastest web
browser with full HTML 3.2 support.
It is a completely self-contained, stand-alone 1.1MB application with no
dependencies on any other browser or browser component.
For Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Windows
XP.
++

Alien Tiles
http://www.alientiles.com/
Make all the tiles blue! Alien Tiles is a vivid and fiendishly difficult
puzzle recently developed by Dr. Cliff Pickover and Cam Mckechnie. Some have
called it "Rubik's cube for the new millennium."   The rules are simple, but
the patterns soon become very complex. We look forward to hearing from
artists, puzzle fans, and mathematicians regarding any interesting
solutions, observations, and patterns.
++

Christies Computer Corner thanks to Christy;
<1stPicksoftware-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

UnClean
Freeware (Free site registration required)
Windows 95, 98, Me, NT 4.0, 2000, and XP

This issue's utility, UnClean 2, replaces the uninstall portion
of the Add/remove programs option in the control panel (ARP) with
an improved version that provides full and clear access to all
available information, and does so for any of the six current
Windows platforms. You can also delete an uninstall entry if you
discover that it's no longer valid. And of course, you can
remove, change, or repair programs in the same way that you can
with ARP.

~~~~~~~

Shutdown for lazy people

Want a simple way to shut down all your programs and Windows
itself without having to open any menus or click anywhere?

Simply hold down the Alt key and keep tapping the F4 key until
everything has closed and you are presented with the Shutdown
dialogue box.

If the Shutdown dialogue box is already set for Shutdown, as
opposed to Restart or Suspend, you then need only hit the Enter
key to complete the process.

Was this forwarded to you ?
Get your own subscription here:
<1stpickPCtips-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Antivirus software is a good choice to scan your system for possible viruses,
however no virus scanner is 100% effective as manufactures cannot keep up with
the rapid change of viruses that happens daily.
Be sure to update yours regularly.
http://www.hackfix.org/software/antivirus.html
Please feel free, to offer constructive criticism, as that will help me keep it
interesting.
I also welcome any submissions about new products, web pages, or articles of
interest.

All submissions posted in MWN will be given proper credit.
"MikesWhatsNews" believes in giving credit where credit is due but at times
deadlines and information that is very important to readers we accidentally
misspost an item.

If you believe something to be miscredited, or you know the author of one of
the articles which we have posted as 'unknown', please do let us know so we can
correct the information where applicable.

Many times in a article you may see a click here for more information, or to go
to a link, these often will not work, as the original information, was taken
from a page with HTML links. This is when you will want to go to the webpage
indicated in the article, ++ ,for 'the rest of the story'
***MfM*** indicates that I am adding my own information to a particular
article.
                         `~*~*~*~*~*~`
Mike ~It's a good day if I learned something new.
You can read a sample of my newsletter on my web page http://www.mwn.ca
My virus pages ~ http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
mytech@xxxxxxxxxxx
~*~*~*~*~
Was this forwarded to you? Want to subscribe? Send an email
to mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info mikeswhatsnews" without
the quotes.

If you wish to unsubscribe from our list send an email to
mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe

mikeswhatsnews-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                              ~*~*~*~*~