[MikesWhatsNews] MWN #572

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mikeswhatsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 17:00:18 -0700

MikesWhatsNews, 14, 10, 2002
in today's issue #572
Thanksgiving in Canada
Enviromental Games
Swat It
PC BUYER BEWARE!
Time and Date
Fifties Trailers
Get Ready for MSN 8
CCC      Crimson Editor
        Power Management

On behalf of Christie, and my self and our families we would like to take
a moment and whish all our Canadian readers a Happy Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving in Canada -- What gives?
http://www.canadafirst.net/our_heritage/thanksgiving/
Most of us will have noticed that Canadian Thanksgiving comes well in
advance of our neighbours to the south, and for all the predictable reasons:
colder climate, earlier harvest, and that persistant urge to accomplish
something (anything) before "they" do. But the history of our Thanksgiving
is stuffed with surprises.

We did actually have the FIRST Thanksgiving, a full 43 years before the
pilgrims at Plymouth Rock, but, in true Canadian fashion, there was
something wrong with it. That first North American Thanksgiving would have
been "celebrated" in sub-zero temperatures on a barren, windswept moonscape
by a muttering, mutinous crowd wondering whether "the chief" had all his
marbles.

In 1576, Sir Martin Frobisher set out to find the Spice Islands. He landed
instead on Baffin Island. The complete absence of trees and a pitiless
terrain of unrelieved rock and permafrost barely dampened his determination
to establish the first English settlement in North America. Not yet
disabused of his perennial optimism, he spent two years mining "gold ore".
When it was well and duly hauled back to England, it assayed out as iron
pyrite. Fool's Gold.

By 1710 we were back on track with this Thanksgiving thing. Records at Port
Royal, Nova Scotia, note an October 10 thanksgiving celebration to mark the
return of the town to the English. In 1763, Halifax celebrated the end of
the Seven Years War with a similar ceremony.

In 1879, Parliament formally declared November 6 as a day of Thanksgiving,
and so it remained until after the Armistice of WWI, when Thanksgiving and
Remembrance Day would have conflicted thematically during the same week.

When Thanksgiving was assigned to its present second Monday in October,
former Ontario Premier E.C. Drury, head of the United Farmers of Ontario,
decried the move as a ploy by city-dwellers to move a farmer's holiday "up"
the calendar so they could enjoy a long weekend while the weather was likely
to still be fine (at the farmer's expense). Canadian - eh?
++

Enviromental Games
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/kids/games/?version=1
Fun and interactive games for all to play!

Beat the Banger Game
Beat the old banger by answering the questions correctly to move the
Environment Agency van!

Fishpond Fun! Leaps of knowledge or just fish porridge!
Answer the questions correctly to help the frog leap safely over the lily
pads!
++

New SwatIT Signature Files ~ free
http://www.lockdowncorp.com/bots/downloadswatit.html
Swat It is a Completely FREE program that scans your files for Trojans,
Worms, Bots and other Hacker programs. Swat It can detect and remove over
3000 different Trojan programs plus variants. Swat It was recently
independently tested against popular commercial scanning software by one of
our Licensed users and we were absolutely delighted by the results.

snip
Product Limitations
SwatIT is a free Trojan scanner. It will not scan the contents of compressed
files, neither does it provide background scanning. It is simply a "dumb
scanner" with no intelligence or generic detection methods. SwatIT was
released for those that simply can not afford to purchase a commercial
program, but still need to clean their hard disk from known Trojan
infections.
++
Thanks to; Thanks to; Jasmine,
Owner/Group Moderator: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pro_tech
A Technical Support Alliance Member

PC BUYER BEWARE! by Eric Legge
 http://www.legge40.freeserve.co.uk/BuyerBeware.htm
This site has been designed to provide you - directly or indirectly in the
form of links to other sites - with all of the information you need to know
about PCs in order protect yourself from the vendors, the snoopers out on
the Internet eager for personal marketing information, and the hackers
looking for prey.
There is even a section called Build Your Own PC under the PC Information
heading.
++ There is more on the web site.

Time and Date
http://www.timeanddate.com/
This site includes lots of information that is time and date related,
such as yearly and monthly calendars, counters, countdown, and
the world clock which shows current time in cities all over the world.
++

Fifties Trailers
http://www.fiftiestrailers.com/

Take a look at thes had made trailers.
They are a 'go back machine' all by themselves.

Made here in BC Canada too.

Get Ready for MSN 8
http://resourcecenter.msn.com/msn8/preview_home.asp
Prepare yourself for the online event of the year: the launch of the new
MSN(R) 8 Internet Service on October 24. Visit the MSN 8 preview site to
learn about the powerful new features and to get a sneak peek with an
exclusive tour. You'll learn why one reviewer calls it "the best version of
MSN I've seen" and another says "MSN beats AOL for ease of use and
functionality."

Christies Computer Corner thanks to Christy;
<1stPicksoftware-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Crimson Editor ~ freeware
http://www.crimsoneditor.com/
Win95 or higher, WinNT 4.0 or higher

Crimson Editor is a professional source editor for Windows.  This
program is not only fast in loading time, but also small in size
(so small that it can be copied in one floppy disk).  While it
can serve as a good replacement for Notepad, it also offers many
powerful features for programming languages such as HTML, C/C++,
Perl and Java.    Other features include undo/redo, user tools,
macros, spell checker and more.

Crimson editor is a feature-rich text editor that pulls off the
Windows Explorer look quite well. You can
edit many different text-based files such as programming
languages like:

                      HTML
                      C/C++
                      Perl
                      Java
                      Matlab
                      LaTeX
                      ASP
                      PHP
                      JSP
                      EDIF
                      VHDL
                      Verilog-HDL

There are even some basic FTP options so you don't have to leave
the application to upload your code. You can create macros to
simplify coding and there are search and replace functions.

~~~~~~~

Power Management
If you use a home desktop computer, then you probably don't need
Power Management support. Mainly computers left on for more than
24 hours and laptops use this option.

To disable this feature and save some CPU power, go to the
Control Panel and select the System Icon. Click the Device Driver
tab (device manager) and double-click the System Devices. Towards
the top, you will see an item called Advanced Power Management
Support; double-click this.

In the General tab, make sure that the "Disable in this Profile"
is clicked. Click OK.
Was this forwarded to you ?
Get your own subscription here:
<1stpickPCtips-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Antivirus software is a good choice to scan your system for possible viruses,
however no virus scanner is 100% effective as manufactures cannot keep up with
the rapid change of viruses that happens daily.
Be sure to update yours regularly.
http://www.hackfix.org/software/antivirus.html
Please feel free, to offer constructive criticism, as that will help me keep it
interesting.
I also welcome any submissions about new products, web pages, or articles of
interest.

All submissions posted in MWN will be given proper credit.
"MikesWhatsNews" believes in giving credit where credit is due but at times
deadlines and information that is very important to readers we accidentally
misspost an item.

If you believe something to be miscredited, or you know the author of one of
the articles which we have posted as 'unknown', please do let us know so we can
correct the information where applicable.

Many times in a article you may see a click here for more information, or to go
to a link, these often will not work, as the original information, was taken
from a page with HTML links. This is when you will want to go to the webpage
indicated in the article, ++ ,for 'the rest of the story'
***MfM*** indicates that I am adding my own information to a particular
article.
                         `~*~*~*~*~*~`
Mike ~It's a good day if I learned something new.
You can read a sample of my newsletter on my web page http://www.mwn.ca
My virus pages ~ http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
mytech@xxxxxxxxxxx
~*~*~*~*~
Was this forwarded to you? Want to subscribe? Send an email
to mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info mikeswhatsnews" without
the quotes.

If you wish to unsubscribe from our list send an email to
mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe

mikeswhatsnews-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                              ~*~*~*~*~