[MikesWhatsNews] MWN #575

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mikeswhatsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 17:19:34 -0700

MikesWhatsNews, 17, 10, 2002
in today's issue #575
The "Netdex" Backdoor Trojan Wants In
Serpentine v1.0
Iomega Windows XP Moving Tool
Get Ready for MSN 8
MailWasher Version: 2.0 beta
Safety Tips from the Mouse
OpenExpert 1.30
CCC      StartStop
        Ctrl to Select Most but not all

The "Netdex" Backdoor Trojan Wants In
http://www.viruslist.com/eng/index.html
Kaspersky Labs recommends computer users urgently install patch to
defend against "Netdex".

Kaspersky Labs reports the detection of the Trojan horse "Netdex",
which exploits a vulnerability in the security system of the
Microsoft Virtual Machine. Doing this allows the "Trojan" to
clandestinely infect computers with malicious code and run it.

An analysis of the program shows that, most likely, it is of Russian
origin. In particular the program has some text written in the
Russian language and a link to a domain from a Russian zone. At this
time, Kaspersky Labs has received only a few confirmed infections at
the hands of "Netdex" and has already undertaken the necessary
measures to thwart it spreading into a global outbreak.

"Netdex" is a complex multi-component malicious program that
penetrates computers of those users who are visiting an infected Web
site. Using a vulnerability in the Microsoft Virtual Machine security
system ("Microsoft VM ActiveX Component" Vulnerability), the Web site
infects victim computers with a malicious script program that drops
the "Netdex" main components. These components, in turn, install on
victim computers a backdoor Trojan program (a utility designed for
unauthorized remote administration), which permits an ill-intended
intruder to imperceptibly control infected systems and perform such
functions as the creation, deletion and copying of files, sending of
emails, displaying of system messages on the monitor and so on. The
specific backdoor commands to be executed by "Netdex" are loaded from
the same Web site.

Kaspersky Labs has taken the necessary steps to close the malicious
Web site, and in doing so, has liquidated "Netdex's" main breeding
ground for infection. However, this does not mean that computers,
lacking the patch fixing the Microsoft Virtual Machine vulnerability,
face no threat. "Firstly, the malefactors behind "Netdex" can simply
open another similar site or sites, thanks to many locations for
hosting anonymously authored Web pages. Secondly, the damaging script
program from the infected web site may be sent out via email.
Finally, "Netdex" has the ability to update itself, therefore the
author of the Trojan program can redirect already infected computers
by executing commands from a different Web site", commented Eugene
Kaspersky, Head of Anti-Virus Research at Kaspersky Labs.

Users of Internet Explorer versions 3.0 - 5.5 are recommended to
install the patch for the Windows security system, it can be found at
the Microsoft Web site at:
<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/
bulletin/MS00-075.asp>

All defenses protecting against "Netdex" have already been added to
the Kaspersky Anti-Virus databases.

For more detailed information about this malicious program, please
visit the Kaspersky Virus Encyclopedia at:
http://www.viruslist.com/eng/viruslist.html?id=57335
From; Kaspersky Labs News

Serpentine v1.0 ~ free
http://www.omninet.net.au/~irhumph/products.htm
Win9x/Mill/Win2k/XP
Serpentine is a completely re-written version of the original Broderbund
game which appeared on the Apple II and Atari machines of the early 1980s.
You guide your snake around a labyrinth, eating the evil serpents which try
to eat you. Beware! The serpents start laying eggs which hatch and become
more serpents. Eat a serpent egg and then lay your own egg. The level ends
when you have eaten all the evil serpents. If at the end of the level you
have laid an egg which has not been eaten, this will hatch and give you an
extra life. Look out for the frog which also likes to eat eggs! There are 75
tantalizing levels to conquer, and you can save your game at any stage and
load a saved game. When you have conquered all the levels provided, you can
go into the Level Designer and design your own! There is also a separate
application supplied called Level Organizer which helps you arrange your
levels in order of difficulty from easiest to hardest. A really
comprehensive and well-presented package to provide hours of challenging
fun!

Iomega Windows XP Moving Tool
<http://www.iomega.com/datahandler/servlet/dataprocess/driverlist?database=st
eerdown>
your important files and settings from an older system to a new Windows XP
system in as few as two steps.

Installation: Once you have downloaded the software, double click the file
to extract and launch the installation.

Active Disk Powered XP Moving Tool ~ Version: 1.0
File Size: 3.85MB
Platform:95 98 Me NT 4.0 SP3 XP 2000
System Requirements: Windows 95, 98, Me, NT 4.0 SP3, 2000, or XP. Windows XP
installation CD and an Iomega Zip, or HDD drive.
License: Shareware

Full Description:
The Active Disk Powered Windows XP Moving Tool helps you move all of your
digital music, images, video, email and other files as well key Internet,
network, desktop and other system settings from an older system to a new
Windows XP system in as few as two steps.
Installation: Once you have downloaded the software, double click the file
to extract and launch the installation.
++

Get Ready for MSN 8
Prepare yourself for the online event of the year: the launch of the new
MSN(R) 8 Internet Service on October 24. Visit the MSN 8 preview site to
learn about the powerful new features and to get a sneak peek with an
exclusive tour. You'll learn why one reviewer calls it "the best version of
MSN I've seen" and another says "MSN beats AOL for ease of use and
functionality."

Safety Tips from the Mouse

For sensible Internet safety advice that applies to kids and
adults, refer to Disney's Safety Tips
[ http://disney.go.com/legal/Internet_safety.html ]. After you've
got your family on board with these pointers on safety and
privacy, check out some of the recommended sites at the bottom of
the page for kid-friendly surfing.

MailWasher Version: 2.0 beta
http://www.mailwasher.net/download.php
MailWasher is under constant development with many enhancements, and support
for new protocols and software in the pipeline. Because of this it is
impractical to fully test MailWasher over all situations every time we
finish a new set of features, so the latest version with the latest
improvements will be available for download as a beta version. An older
version that has already shown itself to be reliable can be downloaded as
the latest stable release.

The beta version normally writes more detailed log files to its directory,
this is useful if you encounter any problems with it as we can more easily
solve them if you can send us detailed logs.

Here is a good configuration page;
<http://www.it-reality.co.uk/SoftwareReviews/MailWasher/MailWasher2.htm>

Submitted by:  AJ (appeljon1) ~ COMPUTER HELP-ONLINE -
A Technical Support Alliance Member
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/computerhelponline/

---

  Latest Beta Version: 2.0 beta

OpenExpert 1.30  ~ free
 http://www.baxbex.com/products.html
 Win 9X / ME / 2000 / XP
 Open With submenu for explorer's menu

Simply install our freeware OpenExpert and you will be able to configure
every single existing filetype with its own "open with..." submenu
extension.
Now you can quickly and simply choose which application you want to open
that particular file.
Right click the mouse and select the program to open the file.
That's all there is to it!

OpenExpert is free for use at home!

Christies Computer Corner thanks to Christy;
<1stPicksoftware-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

StartStop
http://www.tfi-technology.com/startstop/default.htm
Freware
Windows 95, 98, Me, NT, and 2000

Tired of waiting for your computer to start? When Windows is
starting it can load many programs that you might not  need. Some
of these are not even visible to you and just work in the
background even if you don't need them.  StartStop lets you
control which programs will start and change your configuration
each time your computer boots. With StartStop you can stop
programs being run or get StartStop to ask you if a particular
program should be loaded.   Each time your computer starts you
get the option to change your current settings or just let
StartStop apply your default preferences.

~~~~~~~

Ctrl to Select Most but not all

Hold down the Ctrl key as you click each item with
the mouse. If you need to select most items in a window but not
all, there's an even faster way than clicking them one at a time.
Hold down the Ctrl key as you select the ones you DON'T want,
then select Edit, Invert Selection.

Was this forwarded to you ?
Get your own subscription here:
<1stpickPCtips-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Antivirus software is a good choice to scan your system for possible viruses,
however no virus scanner is 100% effective as manufactures cannot keep up with
the rapid change of viruses that happens daily.
Be sure to update yours regularly.
http://www.hackfix.org/software/antivirus.html
Please feel free, to offer constructive criticism, as that will help me keep it
interesting.
I also welcome any submissions about new products, web pages, or articles of
interest.

All submissions posted in MWN will be given proper credit.
"MikesWhatsNews" believes in giving credit where credit is due but at times
deadlines and information that is very important to readers we accidentally
misspost an item.

If you believe something to be miscredited, or you know the author of one of
the articles which we have posted as 'unknown', please do let us know so we can
correct the information where applicable.

Many times in a article you may see a click here for more information, or to go
to a link, these often will not work, as the original information, was taken
from a page with HTML links. This is when you will want to go to the webpage
indicated in the article, ++ ,for 'the rest of the story'
***MfM*** indicates that I am adding my own information to a particular
article.
                         `~*~*~*~*~*~`
Mike ~It's a good day if I learned something new.
You can read a sample of my newsletter on my web page http://www.mwn.ca
My virus pages ~ http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
mytech@xxxxxxxxxxx
~*~*~*~*~
Was this forwarded to you? Want to subscribe? Send an email
to mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info mikeswhatsnews" without
the quotes.

If you wish to unsubscribe from our list send an email to
mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe

mikeswhatsnews-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                              ~*~*~*~*~