[MikesWhatsNews] MWN #568

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mikeswhatsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 17:00:51 -0700

MikesWhatsNews, 08, 10, 2002
in today's issue #568
Splat!
Windows Media Bonus Pack for Windows XP
Kermitage
Karen's Replicator referral
USB On-The-Go
MIT Classes On The Cheap
Tina's FrontPage Tips
CCC      Found How
        Optimal Performance

Splat!
http://www.policeguide.com/waterballoon.htm
Just let it scroll ! ! !
Wait for the music to start and then
Just hold down the little arrow in the scroll bar to the
right and don't let go!!!!!
This is guaranteed to alleviate pressure in the
boomboom area of your head,
HOLD THE DOWN ARROW AND KEEP GOING

 Windows Media Bonus Pack for Windows XP!
<http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/bonuspack.asp>
The Windows Media Bonus Pack requires Windows XP.
As a special "thanks" for fans of the Windows XP digital media experience,
we offer the Windows Media Bonus Pack for Windows XP! Jam-packed with
utilities, PowerToys, visualizations, skins, sound effects, and much more,
the free Windows Media Bonus Pack installs on your Windows XP-based PC and
lets your personality and creativity shine.

Kermitage
http://www.kermitage.com/
We all know that the star of the Muppets is the great Kermit the Frog.
Kermitage doesn't just pay tribute and homage to this lovable Muppet, but
rather to everything related to "The Muppet Show." When you arrive at the
Web site, you are presented with two choices: the Episode Guide or the
Character Guide. It's probably obvious that the Character Guide is about the
characters of "The Muppet Show." What's surprising to me is all the
information I DIDN'T know about these Muppets: their first appearance, what
song(s) they are best known for, or even how they changed in appearance (did
you know that Miss Piggy changed in design eight times?). The Episode Guide
is an outline of almost every episode from all five seasons dating back to
September 28, 1976, when Avery Schreiber hosted the show. It's fun to read
the outline and some of the dialogue, as it sends me back to my childhood...
hey, is that Brooke Shields?
Thanks to: DC Rudd

Hi Mike

I can attest to your reference of Karen's Replicator.

Works great.  Very easy to set up and run - copies complete drives
exact to the extent they will boot as if installed by a OS install
disk.  Naturally have to set the partition replicated to - as
Primary/active to boot but once done - no problem.

I just had the need to do this the other night with the drive that I
use extensivly as it seemed to be failing - went through the entire
procedure very quickly and was up and running on my other system
within a short time - with the OS/programs/files/bookmarks- exact
mirror image of the first drive.

Can't say enough for this FREE program.

http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

Good Luck
Jon
COMPUTER HELP-ONLINE -
A Technical Support Alliance Member
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/computerhelponline/

USB On-The-Go
http://www.transdimension.com/html/products_usb_otg.html
TransDimension initiated the push for expanding USB into mobile devices.
Mobile device industries now recognize the great potential and benefit of
embedded USB for mobile devices, and have established a new ?On-The-Go?
(OTG) standard. This standard will be a supplement to the USB 2.0
specification and allows direct communication between devices.
TransDimension is an active key player in the OTG standard committee, with
participation from major mobile device vendors. The OTG standard opens the
door for USB to go into mobile devices. TransDimension?s OTG solutions are
the only ones that have an architecture that is optimized for mobile device
interconnectivity, leveraging on our current market leading embedded USB
host chips/core, software, and total solutions. TransDimension's OTG
solutions are a giant step beyond current interconnectivity technologies for
mobile devices, set top boxes, and Internet appliances. Applications needing
both a USB host and a USB slave should adopt the OTG solution to avoid the
risk of non-compliance and non-interoperability.
++

MIT Classes On The Cheap by Marianne Kolbasuk McGee
http://www.informationweek.com/story/IWK20020927S0018

Getting an MIT degree is still impossible online, but content from dozens of
courses is now available for free on the Internet.

Digital school bells will ring this week on MIT's much-anticipated
OpenCourseWare Web site when it starts offering free content from dozens of
MIT courses. The goal: to share content with researchers, educators, and
people who can't afford tuition.
These first courses cover subjects such as software engineering and
economics. You can't earn an MIT degree via OpenCourseWare, but you can
access professors' lecture notes and other content from earlier semesters.

MIT says all of its courses are due to go online within about seven years.
 ++
From; informationweek.com

Tina's FrontPage Tips, by Tina Clarke

MAGpie 2.0
http://ncam.wgbh.org/news/pr_05072002.html

Synchronized Multimedia Integration Language
(SMIL), QuickTime, and Synchronized
Accessible Media Interchange all support
synchronized multimedia presentations with
captioning. If you provide multimedia files in
special formats, you should link to where a
player can be downloaded.

AccessFP ~ FrontPage Resource Centre
Site ~  http://www.accessfp.net/
Ezine & Forums ~ http://anyfrontpage.com/  FREE FP E-Books

Christies Computer Corner thanks to Christy;
<1stPicksoftware-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Found How
http://www.mobmultimedya.com/found_how.asp?lang=Eng
Freeware

Found How is a fun and challenging mathematics game! You'll get
an end score and several number possibilities. You need to add,
subtract, multiply or divide 2 of the numbers to get the closest
you can to the end score.  Plus, you need to do it in a time
limit! Found How will test your mathematical ability as well as
thinking skills. This is a nice program, a worthwhile download!

From same site/author also see:
Mr Multiplier (direct download)
http://www.mobmultimedya.com/indir.asp?id=4
Memory Builder (direct download)
http://www.mobmultimedya.com/indir.asp?id=3

~~~~~~~

Optimal Performance
To make sure Windows is using the latest and greatest 32-bit
drivers for all of your hardware, go to the System Icon with the
Control Panel (srartmenu->settings->control panel) and select the
Performance tab.  If it says 'Optimal Performance,' then you are
fine.  Otherwise, research each device to find the one that is
not 32-bit. You may need to update the driver, replace the
device, or choose 'Remove' and then use the Windows 'Add New
Hardware' option in the Control Panel to allow Windows to
reinstall the driver. Remember, you'll need to reboot if you
change drivers.

Was this forwarded to you ?
Get your own subscription here:
<1stpickPCtips-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Antivirus software is a good choice to scan your system for possible viruses,
however no virus scanner is 100% effective as manufactures cannot keep up with
the rapid change of viruses that happens daily.
Be sure to update yours regularly.
http://www.hackfix.org/software/antivirus.html
Please feel free, to offer constructive criticism, as that will help me keep it
interesting.
I also welcome any submissions about new products, web pages, or articles of
interest.

All submissions posted in MWN will be given proper credit.
"MikesWhatsNews" believes in giving credit where credit is due but at times
deadlines and information that is very important to readers we accidentally
misspost an item.

If you believe something to be miscredited, or you know the author of one of
the articles which we have posted as 'unknown', please do let us know so we can
correct the information where applicable.

Many times in a article you may see a click here for more information, or to go
to a link, these often will not work, as the original information, was taken
from a page with HTML links. This is when you will want to go to the webpage
indicated in the article, ++ ,for 'the rest of the story'
***MfM*** indicates that I am adding my own information to a particular
article.
                         `~*~*~*~*~*~`
Mike ~It's a good day if I learned something new.
You can read a sample of my newsletter on my web page http://www.mwn.ca
My virus pages ~ http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
mytech@xxxxxxxxxxx
~*~*~*~*~
Was this forwarded to you? Want to subscribe? Send an email
to mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info mikeswhatsnews" without
the quotes.

If you wish to unsubscribe from our list send an email to
mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe

mikeswhatsnews-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                              ~*~*~*~*~