[MikesWhatsNews] MWN #569

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mikeswhatsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 16:52:14 -0700

MikesWhatsNews, 09, 10, 2002
in today's issue #569
PayPal Identity Theft Scam
Beta Testing for Kaspersky Anti-Virus Lite 4.5
Als Home v1.6
IE Booster
Are you ready for MSN 8
PoliceGuide Computerized Police Sketch Artist
Make It Stick
Tina's FrontPage Tips
CCC      FileZilla
        Sticky Mouse

PayPal Identity Theft Scam

A new type of PayPal scam has been making the rounds. If
you're a PayPal user, you may receive an email titled "URGENT:
PayPal System Problems."

The email then goes on to say that, because of computer
glitches, all users should log in to the PayPal URL given in
the email and re-enter their information.

But the PayPal login URL given is *not*
==>https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr/?cmd=_login-run
which is the real direct PayPal login URL.

It's a URL starting with http://www.paypalsys.com -- a bogus
site where the scammer steals your PayPal identity, and
possibly your money.

Remember that URLs starting with http:// are not secure. Only
URLs starting with https:// are (if you're using Internet
Explorer, you'll see a little lock in the lower right-hand
corner of the browser to remind you you're visiting a secure
site).

PayPal has a list of security tips, which includes the
following:

If you receive an email and are unsure whether it is from
PayPal, come directly to the PayPal site at www.paypal.com.
Don't click on any link in an email that seems suspicious to
you. These security measures will help ensure that you are
logging into PayPal. The only site you should ever type your
username and password into is at www.paypal.com.

To check out more excellent security tips from PayPal, visit:
<http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/fraud-prevention-outside>

From; Internet ScamBusters  Issue #55
http://www.scambusters.org/

Kaspersky Labs  General news. Tuesday, October 08, 2002

Kaspersky Labs Introduces Beta Testing for Kaspersky Anti-Virus Lite 4.5
Kaspersky Anti-Virus Lite is designed to defend against viruses and was
built specifically to provide novices with a reliable defense of home
computers with the maximum operating simplicity and convenience.

Kaspersky Anti-Virus Lite is the traditional anti-virus program,
combining constant virus protection (virus interception in real-time)
and virus scanning activated upon command. This ensures that users can
safely work not only with local files but also with email and the
Internet. In addition, Kaspersky Anti-Virus Lite allows for updating of
its anti-virus databases via the Internet and prepares for viewing
system status reports.

The new version has a significantly upgraded user interface as well as
three levels of object verification: Normal, Medium and High. The higher
the level the more robust the virus defense with both on command
checking and the memory resident virus interceptor. Users are free to
choose any level of information protection, altering it as needed. This
approach greatly simplifies program setup and reinforces Kaspersky
Anti-Virus Lite 4.5 as the perfect solution for beginner users and those
who need just the most required forms of anti-virus protection.

Become familiar with the terms and procedures for taking part in
beta testing at the Kaspersky Labs site at:
http://www.kaspersky.com/beta.html?product=962388

The most active beta testing participants will be rewarded with valuable
prizes. To have a look at the prizes please go to:
http://www.kaspersky.com/beta.html?chapter=733697&spage=3

Als Home v1.6
http://www.click-pool.com/english/main.html
Win9x/NT4/Mill/Win2k/XP
Speed, strategy and combination are demanded in this Comic Shooter. In a
research station under water you meet funny small monsters, which you have
to catch.
In the bonus levels of AL's Home expect you then further challenges.
Al's Home is a combined Comic Sidedescroll Shooter with an unusual action
puzzle.
++

 IE Booster
 http://www.paessler.com/products/ieb/
 Free Web Browser Extensions for Internet Explorer

IE Booster is a freeware collection of tools that extend the context menu of
the web browser MS Internet Explorer (version 5 and up) for Windows.

You may already be familiar with the IE Web Accessories for IE5 published by
MS in 1999, but these often do not work with IE6 any more and MS is yet to
publish an update!

This is why IE Booster is such a powerful and unique collection of tools!
And the icing on the cake? IE Booster is totally and completely free! We are
sure that you'll enjoy this software, and find it as useful as we do, and
hope that you may take the time to have a look at some of our other
products.
 ++

Are you ready for MSN 8?
http://resourcecenter.msn.com/MSN8/preview_home.asp
Release date Oct. 24.
Prepare yourself for the most exciting online event of the year: the
unveiling of the new MSN® 8 Internet Service, the Web experience you've
been asking for. MSN 8, which launches this fall, is the new Internet
service and software from Microsoft® that was designed to make the Web
more useful than ever. MSN 8 includes advanced features such as:

A smart junk mail filter
Powerful parental controls
Automatic e-mail virus protection service
Easy switching tools that transfer your e-mail and contacts from another
Internet service provider
MSN 8 sets a new standard for Internet service, with the kind of innovation
you expect from Microsoft and exclusive tools and features you won't find
anywhere else. Take all that, wrap it up in a personalized, easy-to-use
browser, and you've got the best online experience available. Are you ready?
From; Microsoft

PoliceGuide Computerized Police Sketch Artist
http://www.policeguide.com/cgi-bin/sketch-artist
This FREE service will draw a sketch based on the
description details you provide.
++

Make It Stick
http://www.thistothat.com/
Whether you want to stick leather to metal or wood to glass, This To That
tells you how to get the best bond just by selecting the two materials from
the pull down menu, clicking on Let's Glue and seeing what will give the
strongest adhesion, the least toxic, the fastest and more tips on making a
connection that will last.

From; Cool Tricks and Trinkets Newsletter
Subscribe:
mailto:cool-tricks-join-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tina's FrontPage Tips, by Tina Clarke

HOW TO UNGREY YOUR 'URL OF
VALIDATION FAILURE PAGE' BOX.

First click on a field to select that you want to
validate. For example a email field, right click
and choose 'Form Field Properties' Click the
'Validate' button and tick the box marked
'Required' press ok twice.

Right click the field again and choose 'Form
Properties' click 'Options' and select the
'Confirmation' tab now the box marked 'Url of
validation failure page' will be ungreyed and you
can make a page and enter the file name.

NOTE: Remember that all 'confirmation fields'
must be match the form EXACTLY. Cut and
paste from 'Saved Fields' Tab to make sure.

AccessFP ~ FrontPage Resource Centre
Site ~  http://www.accessfp.net/
Ezine & Forums ~ http://anyfrontpage.com/  FREE FP E-Books

Christies Computer Corner thanks to Christy;
<1stPicksoftware-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

FileZilla
http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla
GNU General Public License (GPL)
Windows 95/98/2000, Windows NT/2000

FileZilla is a fast FTP client that is available in different
languages. The Site manager, drag-and-drop functionality and
transfer queue help you control your tasks. FileZilla can connect
to almost every FTP server, even if you are behind a firewall or
SOCKS proxy. Using an SSL connection or Kerberos, all traffic can
be encrypted.
~~~~~~~

Sticky Mouse
Have you ever had your mouse stick? Every now and then the ball
in your mouse will pick up enough lint from the mouse pad to
interfere with the movement of your curser especially if you have
pets. I'm sure you have had it happen to you when you slide the
mouse across the desk, but the curser on your screen seems to be
stuck in one place.  The solution is simple, just shut down the
computer, take apart the mouse and clean the lint off the small
rollers inside. This fixes the problem until the lint builds up
again.

Was this forwarded to you ?
Get your own subscription here:
<1stpickPCtips-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Antivirus software is a good choice to scan your system for possible viruses,
however no virus scanner is 100% effective as manufactures cannot keep up with
the rapid change of viruses that happens daily.
Be sure to update yours regularly.
http://www.hackfix.org/software/antivirus.html
Please feel free, to offer constructive criticism, as that will help me keep it
interesting.
I also welcome any submissions about new products, web pages, or articles of
interest.

All submissions posted in MWN will be given proper credit.
"MikesWhatsNews" believes in giving credit where credit is due but at times
deadlines and information that is very important to readers we accidentally
misspost an item.

If you believe something to be miscredited, or you know the author of one of
the articles which we have posted as 'unknown', please do let us know so we can
correct the information where applicable.

Many times in a article you may see a click here for more information, or to go
to a link, these often will not work, as the original information, was taken
from a page with HTML links. This is when you will want to go to the webpage
indicated in the article, ++ ,for 'the rest of the story'
***MfM*** indicates that I am adding my own information to a particular
article.
                         `~*~*~*~*~*~`
Mike ~It's a good day if I learned something new.
You can read a sample of my newsletter on my web page http://www.mwn.ca
My virus pages ~ http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
mytech@xxxxxxxxxxx
~*~*~*~*~
Was this forwarded to you? Want to subscribe? Send an email
to mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info mikeswhatsnews" without
the quotes.

If you wish to unsubscribe from our list send an email to
mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe

mikeswhatsnews-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                              ~*~*~*~*~