[MikesWhatsNews] MWN #567

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mikeswhatsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 16:57:54 -0700

MikesWhatsNews, 07, 10, 2002
in today's issue #567
Minor Traveling Unattended
Metriclock
WMatch 2
Ultraportable Notebooks: The Lighter Side
Cubes v2.0
Bill Gates to Launch MSN 8 on Oct. 24
Tina's FrontPage Tips
CCC     GS MP3 Player
          Track System Resources

Minor Traveling Unattended

Hi Mike,   I sent this mail to my own list just a moment ago and as I did so
thought of you and your wife and the good work you do......................
I'm in no doubt that you are sometimes tested for the sheer hard work that
goes into looking after children and giving them a home, and I wanted to say
how I think what good people you are.

This morning I was checking back on some of our old messages because Yahoo
has annotated them so that we can decide to dump the bigger ones to save
space before they do.  I came across one that I had shared with the list
quite early on in the life of Chatters in 2000, and for the sake of it
decided to check out the url to see if the site was still there, and it was.

A lot of us who have worked 24/7 and who "don't have time" will find a
meaning for it.   Even if I am being more sentimental than a lot of you,  I
don't think there are many who would say they didn't find something in it
that was worth remembering.  Just click on the url and see.

Minor Traveling Unattended
http://dobhran.snap.com/greetings/GRinspire180.htm

Submitted by; Janet
http://home.clara.net/wightway/

***MFM*** Yes this is a good story!

Metriclock ~ free
http://n24.anaxified.com/mc/

Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP
This is my metric clock, I made it for fun, just because.
There is no analog version...yet, but if you have OS-X you can take the
above picture and replace the original backdrop in Clock.app to get an idea
of what I'd like to see eventually.
++

WMatch 2 ~ free
Windows 95/98/Me/NT4/2000/XP
There are many reasons for comparing or synchronizing the contents of two
folders. Perhaps you want to compare a newly installed program to a previous
installation, or perhaps you're moving files between two computers. You
could open each folder in an Explorer window and compare the files one by
one, but this approach is prone to error. WMatch 2 makes it easy to compare
and synchronize folders. It displays two folders side-by-side, and
highlights the differences using special colors and font styles. You can
then use this information to decide what files to copy, move, or delete.
This new version adds numerous features. Network support allows you to
compare folders on different computers. The updated interface uses tree
controls for fast folder selection. Comparison tests check whether files of
the same name and size are truly the same. View options let you display only
files that are alike, different, newer, or older. The new filtering
capability lets you use wildcards to restrict the display to a subset of the
files in a folder. For convenience, you can start WMatch 2 from the command
line using parameters to specify the manner of display.
From;  PC Magazine, US Edition

Ultraportable Notebooks: The Lighter Side
Wireless Horizons

The growing adoption of wireless networking will make this class of system
even more attractive. Bluetooth's radio technology, which is designed
primarily as a cable replacement, enables 1-Mbps wireless data to be
transferred between devices that are up to 30 feet away, while 802.11b
transmits data at 11 Mbps and is increasingly gaining popularity in the LAN
environment.

Despite size constraints six of the nine ultraportables we tested ship with
wireless networking capabilities built in. Five out of the six come with an
internal mini-PCI slot. The Compaq Evo N400c features a USB connector built
into the lid; it accepts an unobtrusive multiport module that accommodates
an 802.11b or Bluetooth adapter. The Omnibook 500 has 802.11b on the
motherboard; the four others use the mini-PCI slot for their 802.11b
connection. (See "New Wireless Testing" for a full analysis of how the
location and number of antennas affect a wireless signal?and compare
performances against typical PC Cards.)
thanks to; Christy

Cubes v2.0
http://www.harishsave.com/
W9x/2k/XP FREE
{Re-arrange the squares} Do you remember those little plastic holiday games
you would get as a child? More specifically, I?m talking about the one
with Rudolph (everyone had that one, right?) where one square was missing,
and the idea was to shuffle the pieces around until you got the picture
right. That?s the same idea in this game, called Cubes. You start out with
a mixed-up board of colored cubes, and you have to move the cubes around
using the empty square until you get the board to look like the board
displayed on the right. I tried the game with it set to the beginner level,
and it still took me quite a while to beat the first board. The beginner
setting starts with a 4x4 game board, the intermediate with a 6x6 game
board, and the expert with an 8x8 game board. There is a timer, so you can
strive to beat your best score and land yourself a spot in the hall of fame.
(Maybe someday I will get the courage to advance to the intermediate level!)

From; Lockergnome
http://www.lockergnome.com/issues/daily/20020930.html

Bill Gates to Launch MSN 8 on Oct. 24 at New York City Event
<http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2002/Oct02/10-018LaunchCountdownPR.
asp>

MSN 8 Will Make Consumers' Online Experience "Better With the Butterfly"

A 'countdown clock' unveiled today on the Microsoft Campus notes that there
are 23 days and counting until the launch of MSN 8 in New York City Oct. 24.

REDMOND, Wash. -- Oct. 1, 2002 -- Microsoft Corp. today announced that
MSN® 8, the most significant version of MSN ever to be released, will
become broadly available to consumers in the United States on Oct. 24. MSN
plans to introduce the product in New York City's Central Park at a large
and unique event led by Microsoft Chairman and Chief Software Architect Bill
Gates. The kickoff will be bolstered by the largest MSN marketing campaign
ever in the United States and a new promotional theme for MSN 8, "better
with the butterfly," which will encourage consumers to look for the MSN
butterfly logo for the best online experience.
++
From; Microsoft
Tina's FrontPage Tips, by Tina Clarke

Hotspot Tooltips FREE FrontPage Addon 2K/02
http://www.jimcoaddins.com/com.asp

Hotspot Tooltips makes it easy to add popup tooltips to your image maps!

It's best to provide a descriptive link also.  Use a D-link, which is a
descriptive link that provides a narrative of the image (e.g., a chart). The
link (using the character D and linking this character to another html file)
 is generally placed immediately after the image.  It is important to keep
the hotspot titles and the text alternative (not the same as alt text)  the
same.

AccessFP ~ FrontPage Resource Centre
Site ~  http://www.accessfp.net/
Ezine & Forums ~ http://anyfrontpage.com/  FREE FP E-Books

Christies Computer Corner thanks to Christy;
<1stPicksoftware-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

GS MP3 Player
Freeware
http://www.mobmultimedya.com/gsplayer.asp

This is just what it sounds like.  If you have MP3s, look no
further, because here's your player.  It has a charming interface
that will likely keep you hooked and it offers options to compete
with the big boys, except
this one is free!

~~~~~~~

Track System Resources
If you use a Windows computer for any length of time, you will
find that your system slows down. You can find out what's
happening by going to Start/Program/Accessories/System Tools and
selecting Resource Meter and System Monitor.

The Resource Meter and System Monitor will appear, possibly
allowing you to see where the problem lies.

Note:  If these tools are not shown, you can install them by
going to Start/Settings/Control Panel.  Once inside the Control
Panel select Add/Remove Programs and select the
"Windows Setup" tab.  Select the option labeled "System Tools"
and press the "Details" button.  Check the "System Monitor"
and "Resource Meter" check boxes and press OK.
These options will now be installed
(you may need to insert your Windows CD).

Windows NT4.0, Windows 2000 and XP have similar, but more robust
tools available.

Was this forwarded to you ?
Get your own subscription here:
<1stpickPCtips-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Antivirus software is a good choice to scan your system for possible viruses,
however no virus scanner is 100% effective as manufactures cannot keep up with
the rapid change of viruses that happens daily.
Be sure to update yours regularly.
http://www.hackfix.org/software/antivirus.html
Please feel free, to offer constructive criticism, as that will help me keep it
interesting.
I also welcome any submissions about new products, web pages, or articles of
interest.

All submissions posted in MWN will be given proper credit.
"MikesWhatsNews" believes in giving credit where credit is due but at times
deadlines and information that is very important to readers we accidentally
misspost an item.

If you believe something to be miscredited, or you know the author of one of
the articles which we have posted as 'unknown', please do let us know so we can
correct the information where applicable.

Many times in a article you may see a click here for more information, or to go
to a link, these often will not work, as the original information, was taken
from a page with HTML links. This is when you will want to go to the webpage
indicated in the article, ++ ,for 'the rest of the story'
***MfM*** indicates that I am adding my own information to a particular
article.
                         `~*~*~*~*~*~`
Mike ~It's a good day if I learned something new.
You can read a sample of my newsletter on my web page http://www.mwn.ca
My virus pages ~ http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
mytech@xxxxxxxxxxx
~*~*~*~*~
Was this forwarded to you? Want to subscribe? Send an email
to mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info mikeswhatsnews" without
the quotes.

If you wish to unsubscribe from our list send an email to
mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe

mikeswhatsnews-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                              ~*~*~*~*~