[MikesWhatsNews] MWN #523

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mikeswhatsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 17:02:58 -0700

MikesWhatsNews, 26, 06, 2002
in today's issue #523
Tsarevna - A Medieval Russia Quest
The Worst Job in America
Show All Hidden Devices in Device Manager
Computer Profiler v2.0
Registry Explorer 1.4
Tina's FrontPage Tips
CCC     Browser Checkup
        Knowing What to Find
NOTE: Any time you see the "  ++ ",  it means there is more of the

article, or story, on the linked site. Mike

Tsarevna v7.03  free trial version
 http://yavsoft.com/igames.html
Tsarevna - A Medieval Russia Quest
Tsarevna is a cartoon adventure game that brings back memories of
old good PC quests. With funny plot, colorful graphics and
nonviolent story this game offers you hours of fun for the entire
family. You will not only solve the puzzles but also have a unique
possibility of the insight at the life of a medieval Russian city
(being primarily the entertainment, the game nevertheless is based
on true historical facts many of which have never been known to
you before).

The Worst Job in America

http://worstjob.com/

Are you unhappy with your job?  Well, things could be worse--just
check out some of the jobs described here.
Thanks to; Christy

Show All Hidden Devices in Device Manager (Windows 2000/XP)
Devices that are installed but are not currently connected to the
computer (such as a Universal Serial Bus (USB) device or "ghosted"

devices) are not normally displayed in Device Manager. This tweak
causes all devices to be shown.
From; Windows Registry Guide Update from WinGuides.com
http://www.winguides.com/registry/

Computer Profiler v2.0
http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptprofiler.asp
This popular Power Tools displays over 200 bits of information
about your computer, including network settings, Windows version,
and information about your computer's memory, disk drives,
printers, and more. The latest version also displays almost 40 of
Windows' regional or locale settings, including several not
displayed by Windows' Control Panel.

The new Profiler also sports a "Save to Disk" button, allowing it
to save your computer's information to a disk file. From there the
information can be printed, shared with others, or imported into a
document or spreadsheet.

Another new feature is for advanced users or system
administrators. It allows you to run the Profiler from a command
line, shortcut, script, or batch file. If the command line used to
launch the Profiler contains "/Save" followed by the name of a
disk file, the Profiler's information will automatically saved to
that file.

From; KAREN'S POWER TOOLS  By Karen Kenworthy
Read the Web version of Power Tools online!
http://www.karenware.com/newsletters/2002/2002-06-25.asp

 Registry Explorer 1.4

This is of course the news you have all been waiting for. Version
1.4 is
finally out.
It has taken some time to get this release out, but this release
was
worth the wait.
First there is some new functionality, basically the ones you know
from
regedt32 that were still missing in Registry Explorer: backup,
restore,
load hive, unload hive.
But other than this, this release is a complete rewrite of the
software,
which is why it took such a long time to develop. Lots of bugs
have been
fixed and the speed has increased dramatically.
Download it now from:
http://www.regxplor.com/download.html

Tina's FrontPage Tips, by Tina Clarke

Never mind the quality feel the compression

FrontPage is set up by default to further compress inserted
images by as much as 75 per cent, and this will degrade the
quality of the image once the page is saved. To prevent this
you can right-click on the image you just inserted into
FrontPage (prior to saving the page) and select Image
Properties from the pop up menu.  Change the JPEG
compression setting to 100 per cent, which will prevent
FrontPage from compressing the image further. This will of
course increase the file size.

AccessFP ~ FrontPage Resource Centre
Site ~  http://www.accessfp.net/
Ezine & Forums ~ http://anyfrontpage.com/  FREE FP E-Books

Christies Computer Corner thanks to Christy;
<1stPicksoftware-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Browser Checkup

http://browsercheck.qualys.com/

"Welcome to our Free Browser Checkup, a series of audits designed
to test and fix your browser's security vulnerabilities.
This application supports only Microsoft Internet Explorer on the
Windows operating system.
To Get Started, click on the button to see what intruders could
learn about you throughyour browser.
These tests automatically assess your browser for selected
vulnerabilities and offer you the most up-to-date patches from
Microsoft, when available.
This is a free service to educate users about the security of
their Web Browsers.
All tests are safe and no information is collected.
We recommend that you save your work before proceeding."

~~~~~~~
Knowing What to find

In yesterdays tip we pointed out that you could save yourself a
step and some time when searching for files by right-clicking in
the folder where the file resides and choosing Find. You can use
the same technique to search
for strings of text in a document. This is a feature that I use
all the time, when looking for a phrase or heading I might have
used before. Just right-click on the folder where you want to
start your text search and choose Find. Then enter the word or
phrase in the Containing Text field and click Find Now. Searching
in a specific folder like this is necessary when it comes to
searching for text, as it takes your computer quite a while to
scan the text of each document.

Was this forwarded to you ?
Get your own subscription here:
<1stpickPCtips-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Antivirus software is a good choice to scan your system for
possible
viruses, however no virus scanner is 100% effective as
manufactures
cannot keep up with the rapid change of viruses that happens
daily.
Be sure to update yours regularly.
http://www.hackfix.org/software/antivirus.html

Please feel free, to offer constructive criticism, as that will
help me keep it interesting.
I also welcome any submissions about new products, web pages, or
articles of interest.

All submissions posted in the newsletter will be given proper
credit.
"MikesWhatsNews" believes in giving credit where credit is due
but at times deadlines and information that is very important to
readers we accidentally misspost an item.
If you believe something to be miscredited, or you know the author
of one of the articles which we have posted as 'unknown', please
do let us know so we can correct the information where applicable.

Many times in a article you may see a click here for more
information, or to go to a link, these often will not work,
as the original information, was taken from a page with
HTML links. This is when you will want to go to the webpage
indicated in the article, ++ ,for 'the rest of the story'
***MfM*** indicates that I am adding my own information to a
                  particular article.
Mike ~It's a good day if I learned something new.
You can read a sample of my newsletter on my web page
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/
My virus pages http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
mytech@xxxxxxxxxxx

~*~*~*~*~
Was this forwarded to you? Want to subscribe? Send an email
to mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info mikeswhatsnews" without
the quotes.

If you wish to unsubscribe from our list send an email to
mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe

mikeswhatsnews-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
~*~*~*~*~