[MikesWhatsNews] MWN #524

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mikeswhatsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 17:59:43 -0700

MikesWhatsNews, 27, 06, 2002
in today's issue #524
Get More Info
Your Phone Knows Where You Are
BK2K
Marbles Deluxe
Change Power Management Configuration
SlowView
3B Personal Firewall Pro
Tina's FrontPage Tips
CCC      TriDComm - 3D Commander
        Going Back
NOTE: Any time you see the "  ++ ",  it means there is more of the

article, or story, on the linked site. Mike

Get more info  ~ by Mike
Sometimes while reading your email, and following links like this
one;
http://www3.sympatico.ca/rhwatson/dos7/u-debug.html
"Debug is a byte editor that enables files to be viewed and
modified at the byte level. It is generally recommended that this
utility is not used by the faint of heart or when under the
influence of drugs or alcohol. There is no "undo" command, so make
a backup before playing, eh?"

You can obtain more information that you did not know was there.
Shorten the link to this;
http://www3.sympatico.ca/rhwatson/dos7/
and you will find the page which the original came from.
"Syntax and use of the commands available with the Windows95
version of MS Dos."

DOS is still used in Win 98, and ME.
You gan get to the DOS comand by restarting the computer in MSDOS
mode.
Or by restarting the computer with a Win. 98 boot disk.

This is my favorite BootDisk;
http://www.min.net/~jsjr/Web2/ubd/menu.htm
~~~

Most web pages which have / after the page name indicate that
there are other pages.
Do some experimenting you never know where you will end up, or
what you will find.

YOUR PHONE KNOWS WHERE YOU ARE
http://www.popsci.com/popsci/science/article/0,12543,266052,00.html

With E911, your cellphone's location can be tracked within
seconds.
Sounds great for emergencies, but is there a dark side?
From; Popular Science

BK2K

http://www.bk2k.com/

"Hundreds of free graphics, easy web design tutorials,
web design tips and services."
Thanks to; Christy

Marbles Deluxe ~ demo
http://www.retro64.com/
It's hard to believe that one little marble could cause such fun!

But with Marbles Deluxe, it does!
Guide you little marble from point A to point B in level after
level of mind-bending entertainment.
With breath-taking animated 3D-rendered graphics and unique,
challenging play, Marbles Deluxe will be an obsession for the
entire family!

Change Power Management Configuration (All Versions)
This parameter allows you to specify the primary role of the
computer
so that predefined power management configurations can be used.
For
example a laptop will have different power saving features than a
home
desktop PC.
From; Windows Registry Guide Update from WinGuides.com
http://www.winguides.com/registry/

SlowView 0.9.9.X  ~ Free
http://slowview.at/
SlowView is a free multimedia viewer.
Working on all Windows platforms, it supports more than 50 image,
video, and audio formats! Among the most known are: JPEG, GIF,
MNG, PSD, TIFF, TGA, MP3, AVI, MOV, and many others! You`ll be
able to browse images in thumbnail mode, or one by one. You'll
find such features, as creation of custom image effects, batch
processing, or catalog creation. It supports Drag-n-Drop, wheel
mouse, and other technologies. Further it has support for many
different languages like German, French, Spanish, Chinese, etc.
++

3B Personal Firewall Pro   (new product )
http://www.3bsoftware.com/products/firewall.html
Personal Firewall Pro delivers bulletproof intrusion detection and
protection to your PC. It scans your DSL, cable, or dial-up
Internet connection looking for hacker activity, much like
antivirus programs scan your hard disk. Personal Firewall Pro will
not slow down your PC or your Internet experience.

Personal Firewall Pro Automatically installs standard default
features for ready to run protection.
Some of the features includes:
Provides you with the ability to block access to particular
computers, local ports, and remote ports.
3B Web Watch? with IntelliBlock? Integration provides you with
the options to block unsolicited content such as popup
advertisements.
Lock & Leave will lock your computer from other users of a single
computer.

Will Personal Firewall Pro make my computer safer?

Yes! Traditional firewalls let you block TCP/IP and NETBIOS ports,
and that's a good start.
Personal Firewall does this and much more.

Personal Firewall Pro stops hacker attacks as they occur. Personal
Firewall Pro monitors Internet communications, looking for
patterns of communications that are typical of a hacker attack.
For example, if a computer tries to connect to a series of ports
on your computer, Intrusion Protection recognizes it as a port
scan, which is a common method of finding weaknesses to attack.

It also detects attempts to connect to ports used by remote-access
Trojan horse programs and local software.
++

Tina's FrontPage Tips, by Tina Clarke

Hidden away

To help you organise your hidden pages, you can also create
folders within the /_private folder, such as
/_private/myfolder. Folders and files within the /_private
folder are inaccessible by a Web browser unless you have the
web server ID and Password.

AccessFP ~ FrontPage Resource Centre
Site ~  http://www.accessfp.net/
Ezine & Forums ~ http://anyfrontpage.com/  FREE FP E-Books

Christies Computer Corner thanks to Christy;
<1stPicksoftware-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

TriDComm - 3D Commander
http://tridcomm.com/
Win9x / ME / NT4 / 2k and a decent PC and/or a 3D accelerator
card for acceptable performance.
Freeware

This tool has a pair of Norton-Commander-style listing windows
where all of the ususal file and directory folder icons are
rendered as three dimensional objects. This supports the usual
file manager controls and ZIP file handling. It uses the mouse
along with the Ctrl and Alt keys to navigate around in the 3D
space. You can make your own 3D icons by using Anim8or from
www.anim8or.com. You can also traceroute and ping in 3D.
~~~~~~~

Going Back
If you're navigating through folders and you want to jump quickly
to the level just above the current one, remember that you can
always use your Backspace key. Just press it to correspond to the
Back button and
move up a level.

Was this forwarded to you ?
Get your own subscription here:
<1stpickPCtips-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Antivirus software is a good choice to scan your system for
possible
viruses, however no virus scanner is 100% effective as
manufactures
cannot keep up with the rapid change of viruses that happens
daily.
Be sure to update yours regularly.
http://www.hackfix.org/software/antivirus.html

Please feel free, to offer constructive criticism, as that will
help me keep it interesting.
I also welcome any submissions about new products, web pages, or
articles of interest.

All submissions posted in the newsletter will be given proper
credit.
"MikesWhatsNews" believes in giving credit where credit is due
but at times deadlines and information that is very important to
readers we accidentally misspost an item.
If you believe something to be miscredited, or you know the author
of one of the articles which we have posted as 'unknown', please
do let us know so we can correct the information where applicable.

Many times in a article you may see a click here for more
information, or to go to a link, these often will not work,
as the original information, was taken from a page with
HTML links. This is when you will want to go to the webpage
indicated in the article, ++ ,for 'the rest of the story'
***MfM*** indicates that I am adding my own information to a
                  particular article.
Mike ~It's a good day if I learned something new.
You can read a sample of my newsletter on my web page
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/
My virus pages http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
mytech@xxxxxxxxxxx

~*~*~*~*~
Was this forwarded to you? Want to subscribe? Send an email
to mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info mikeswhatsnews" without
the quotes.

If you wish to unsubscribe from our list send an email to
mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe

mikeswhatsnews-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
~*~*~*~*~