[MikesWhatsNews] MWN #522

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mikeswhatsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 17:13:42 -0700

MikesWhatsNews, 25, 06, 2002
in today's issue #522
MS  Plans To Remake The PC To Ensure Security
MaxLister
Spaced Penguin
Harley Davidson PC
TFTP Desktop
Tina's FrontPage Tips
CCC      Lynx for Windows
        Knowing Where To Find
NOTE: Any time you see the "  ++ ",  it means there is more of the

article, or story, on the linked site. Mike

 Microsoft Plans To Remake The Personal Computer To Ensure
Security
http://www.pcflank.com/news240602.htm

Redmond media giant that has been much criticized for security
holes in its software is developing a computer- security system
that will allow users to control and protect their information.

The plan, code-named Palladium, is a hardware and software
combination that will allegedly seal information from remote
thieves, stop viruses and worms, eliminate spam, safeguard user's
privacy, and allow users to control their personal info even after
it leaves their computer.

Intel Corp. and Advanced Micro Devices Inc. have already signed on
to produce special security chips based on Palladium technology.

Palladium, named after a Greek statue that protected the city of
Troy is believed to ship in a future version of Windows.

Unable to provide and fix all security holes in its software in
time Microsoft is going to remake the personal computer to make
sure the users are protected. But are individuals ready to submit
their computers to third party (Microsoft in particular) control
as Palladium means?
From; PC Flank

MaxLister
http://www.acc.umu.se/~max/maxlister/index.html
Freeware

MaxLister is a free application which allows you to create
virtual images of harddrives, floppy disks, CD-ROMs or other
removable media. This is useful if you want to keep track of that
vast CD collection, a problem that a lot of people come across
these days. With MaxLister, you can save any drive or folder to a
.MXL-file - a database file - and later browse and search it in
a Windows Explorer interface. You can import new
folders/filenames from another MXL-file if you want to keep
different drives in a common file. You can also batch search
through a multiple number of MXL-files so that you don't have to
load every single file and then repetedly search through them;
looking for that particular filename. The MXL file also contains
filesizes, and a comment so that you can personalize your
information about the drive. If you don't want to create a
viewable database, you can choose to store your drive information
in a plain text file - easy to view and share with people who
don't already have MaxLister.
Thanks to; Christy

Spaced Penguin!
 http://www.bigideafun.com/penguins/arcade/spaced_penguin/info.htm
Hey there, space cadet! Kevin took a wrong turn and ended up lost
in space.
Use the highly advanced GPS (Giant Penguin Slingshot) to launch
him back to the ship!
Instructions
Click on Kevin and hold down your mouse button.
Drag your mouse to pull him back, and release the button to launch
him!
Use the gravity of nearby planets to help send Kevin in the right
direction. How many points can you score?
++
From; Tourbus  - http://www.TOURBUS.com

Harley Davidson PC
http://www.driesbessels.com/hdpc.htm
The whole object of the project was to make an original
'case-mod'.
 A case-mod is a PC with a modified case.
Sometimes they have extra lights added, sometimes they are custom
painted and I have even seen one made out of an empty beer-crate.
I thought it would be funny to use an old petrol tank but the main
problem was obtaining the Harley bits, plenty of PC bits lying
around.
++

Weird Solutions makes TFTP Desktop available as a free download.
http://www.weird-solutions.com/headlines/indexdocsys.html
Weird Solutions, a privately held corporation in Sweden, announced
an update of the popular desktop edition of the TFTP server
utility for updating network routers, switches and other embedded
devices with the TFTP protocol.

TFTP Desktop version 2.5 is freely available for download for
non-commercial use. A commercial-use license can be purchased
online for $35.00 USD starting June 2002.

The TFTP protocol is commonly used for sending configuration and
boot files to devices with minimal system resources.

Bud Millwood, chief software architect at Weird Solutions says:
"TFTP Desktop is a well-designed package that has proven to be
rock solid over the years.
This update includes support for Windows XP as well as
enhancements to the graphical interface."

Features:

Multithreaded design handles hundreds of simultaneous TFTP
transfers
Real-time transfer graphs
Sort transfers by column to quickly find a specific transfer or
get an overall view of TFTP traffic
Supported on a Windows 98, Windows 2000 and Windows XP
++

Tina's FrontPage Tips, by Tina Clarke

Move that Image

If you start off making your website and like me in the
beginning did not know to put all images in the images
folder. You can move them now to the images folder.
Go to Folders View and in the Folders List click the images
folder. Then in the right hand pane click on 'Type' to line
up all the Image files.
Click on the first Image file to select it, Press 'Shift'
and hold down, scroll down to the last Image file and select
it. Let go of 'shift'
Right click within the highlighted files keep holding down
the button drag all the files over to the LEFT hand pane and
position over the 'Image' folder let go and click 'Move
here' when the dialog box pops up.  When you do this all the
images will be moved over and a dialog box will pop up
asking if you want to retain the links say yes. Don't forget
to recalculate your links before uploading your website.

AccessFP ~ FrontPage Resource Centre
Site ~  http://www.accessfp.net/
Ezine & Forums ~ http://anyfrontpage.com/  FREE FP E-Books

Christies Computer Corner thanks to Christy;
<1stPicksoftware-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Lynx for Windows
Freeware
Windows 95/98/NT and DOS
http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/lynxport.htm

So you're tired of waiting for all those fancy graphics to load
in your browser. You're tired of all the pop-up ads.
You're tired of all the garbage you have to deal with just to get
to the content of the page. What can you do? Sure you can turn
off all the do-dads in the browser, but unless you keep a log,
you will likely not remember what you turned off where, and when
you need to reactivate it all, you may be lost. Why not try a
text based browser? Lynx has been part of Linux for quite a
while, and now there is a port to DOS and Windows. If you're used
to waiting for pages to load, then wait no more! Lynx is fast,
because it doesn't have to download all those images, fancy
fonts, etc. Just the content.

~~~~~~~

 Knowing Where To Find

Sometimes when I look for a file, I some idea of which main
folder it's in. If you're searching for a specific file and you
know which folder it resides in, simply right-click on the folder
and choose Find. This launches the Find application with the Look
In field already filled in, which saves you a step, and will be
much quicker as it doesn't have to search every other
folder/drive.

Was this forwarded to you ?
Get your own subscription here:
<1stpickPCtips-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Antivirus software is a good choice to scan your system for
possible
viruses, however no virus scanner is 100% effective as
manufactures
cannot keep up with the rapid change of viruses that happens
daily.
Be sure to update yours regularly.
http://www.hackfix.org/software/antivirus.html

Please feel free, to offer constructive criticism, as that will
help me keep it interesting.
I also welcome any submissions about new products, web pages, or
articles of interest.

All submissions posted in the newsletter will be given proper
credit.
"MikesWhatsNews" believes in giving credit where credit is due
but at times deadlines and information that is very important to
readers we accidentally misspost an item.
If you believe something to be miscredited, or you know the author
of one of the articles which we have posted as 'unknown', please
do let us know so we can correct the information where applicable.

Many times in a article you may see a click here for more
information, or to go to a link, these often will not work,
as the original information, was taken from a page with
HTML links. This is when you will want to go to the webpage
indicated in the article, ++ ,for 'the rest of the story'
***MfM*** indicates that I am adding my own information to a
                  particular article.
Mike ~It's a good day if I learned something new.
You can read a sample of my newsletter on my web page
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/
My virus pages http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
mytech@xxxxxxxxxxx

~*~*~*~*~
Was this forwarded to you? Want to subscribe? Send an email
to mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info mikeswhatsnews" without
the quotes.

If you wish to unsubscribe from our list send an email to
mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe

mikeswhatsnews-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
~*~*~*~*~