[MikesWhatsNews] MWN #521

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mikeswhatsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 16:23:58 -0700

MikesWhatsNews, 24, 06, 2002
in today's issue #521
UnixSpot
Spider-Man: The Movie
WorstCaseScenarios
Thinking Robot 'Gaak' Escape Attempt Thwarted
Locate 2.0  freeware
LiveWed  Get Cyber Married
LANShare
Tina's FrontPage Tips
CCC      Mp3-Nator
        Quick Windows Start Up:
NOTE: Any time you see the "  ++ ",  it means there is more of the

article, or story, on the linked site. Mike

 UnixSpot
http://www.unixspot.com/
 a website designed for all flavors of this beloved Operating
System.

Thanks to; Christy
  Spider-Man: The Movie ~ Playable Demo
http://www.gamepro.com/index.html?/computer/pc/games/files/3983.sht
ml
Take to the streets as Peter Parker, college student and neophyte
superhero--and kick some butt while you're at it.
If you haven't seen the console version of the game, click the
related articles link and check out the reviews and screens of
this great game!
++
From; Game Pro

WorstCaseScenarios

http://www.worstcasescenarios.com/

"Danger! It lurks at every corner. Sharks. Quicksand. Terrorists.
The pilot of the plane blacks out and it's up to you to land the
jet. What do you do?"

"WorstCaseScenarios.com is here to help: jam-packed with how-to,
hands-on, step-by-step, instructions on everything you need to
know FAST--from ramming a car to treating a bullet wound. No
other site on the Internet provides as much life-saving
information in such an interesting way. Trust us, we've checked.
All of the the worst-case scenarios here, while perhaps unlikely,
are still plausible, and the survival information comes from the
experts themselves: skydivers, pilots, Navy SEALS, stunt men,
demolition derby drivers, surgeons, and dozens more."
Thanks to; Christy

Thinking Robot 'Gaak' Escape Attempt Thwarted
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_611290.html
Scientists running experiments with "living robots" which think
for themselves say they have been amazed to find one escaping from
the centre where it "lives".

The unit, called Gaak, is one of 12 which are taking part in a
"survival of the fittest" test at the Magna science centre in
Rotherham, South Yorkshire, which has been running since March.

Gaak made its bid for freedom after it had been taken out of the
arena where hundreds of visitors watch the machines learning as
they do daily battle for minor repairs.

Professor Noel Sharkey said he turned his back on the drone and
returned 15 minutes later to find it had forced its way out of the
small make-shift paddock it was being kept in.

He later found it had travelled down an access slope, through the
front door of the centre and was eventually discovered at the main
entrance to the car park when a visitor nearly flattened it with
his car.

Prof Sharkey said: "Since the experiment went live in March they
have all learned a significant amount and are becoming more
intelligent by the day but the fact that it had ability to
navigate itself out of the building and along the concrete floor
to the gates has surprised us all."

And he added: "But there's no need to worry, as although they can
escape they are perfectly harmless and won't be taking over just
yet."
From; Ananova

Locate 2.0  freeware
http://www.hytti.uku.fi/~jmhuttun/english/softwares.shtml
This program saves names of all files in your hard drives to file
database.
After that you can locate files. Very fast.
This program works like updatedb and locate in Unix systems.
Win32 based locating program also included.
Program works with Windows 98/ME/NT4/2000/XP
(and with Windows 95 if Internet Explorer 3 is installed).
Version 2.0.2.4271 (27.4.2002: Bigfix). File: Locate20.exe (
748kB).
Thanks to; Terry
Computer_Help_and_Discussion-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

LiveWed  Get Cyber Married
http://www.livewed.com/
Couples walk down the virtual wedding aisle and get married in
cyberspace. After the ceremony you'll be showered in confetti and
receive a printable keepsake marriage certificate.  Site also
includes Virtual cyber-divorce available for those who want to
untie the knot.
Submitted by; Christy

LANShare ~ freeware
<http://www.breittechnologies.com/products/applications/lanshare/in
dex.shtml>
Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP
This software makes it easy for users on Local Networks to share
their files. In a fasion similar to Napster, i-Mesh, and Swaptor,
you decide which files you would like to share with others and
perform searches to find the files you are looking for. This
software works great for college campuses since they usually are
using a LAN.

Also, the program can not be blocked by a firewall, because it
stays behind the firewall at all times (never goes out the
internet). This means that you will NOT be connected and sharing
with people all over the internet, just on your network. Because
of this, the downloads are extremely fast. It may take
approximately 4 seconds to transfer a 5 MB file.

Lastly, since you will only be sharing with other users on your
network, it will be to your advantage to inform others (friends
and colleagues) to download this software in order to build a
larger file sharing base.
++

Tina's FrontPage Tips, by Tina Clarke

Flowing Text

If you want text to flow around your image.  The trick is to
change the image's properties so that the text runs to the
left or right of your image:

1. Right-click the image.
2. Choose Image Properties from the menu that appears.
3. Click the Appearance tab in the Image Properties dialog
box.
4. Under Alignment, choose Left or Right.
5. Click OK to close the Image Properties dialog box.

Now your text flows around your image instead of sitting
above or below it. If you don't already have text on the
page, you can begin typing now, and your text flows
automatically.

AccessFP ~ FrontPage Resource Centre
Site ~  http://www.accessfp.net/
Ezine & Forums ~ http://anyfrontpage.com/  FREE FP E-Books

Christies Computer Corner thanks to Christy;
<1stPicksoftware-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Mp3-Nator
Freeware
http://www.wtmsoftware.nl/products.html

This MP3 player supports skins and comes with drag and drop
support so you can easily add music to your play list.  The
player also comes with an skineditor to make the player get your
own style.
~~~~~~~

Quick Windows Start Up:

If you have to restart Windows, after installing a new piece of
software, choose Start -> Shut Down -> Restart, and press the
SHIFT key while you press Ok-button. Windows will be closed,
and started again, without completely rebooting your system.

Was this forwarded to you ?
Get your own subscription here:
<1stpickPCtips-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Antivirus software is a good choice to scan your system for
possible
viruses, however no virus scanner is 100% effective as
manufactures
cannot keep up with the rapid change of viruses that happens
daily.
Be sure to update yours regularly.
http://www.hackfix.org/software/antivirus.html

Please feel free, to offer constructive criticism, as that will
help me keep it interesting.
I also welcome any submissions about new products, web pages, or
articles of interest.

All submissions posted in the newsletter will be given proper
credit.
"MikesWhatsNews" believes in giving credit where credit is due
but at times deadlines and information that is very important to
readers we accidentally misspost an item.
If you believe something to be miscredited, or you know the author
of one of the articles which we have posted as 'unknown', please
do let us know so we can correct the information where applicable.

Many times in a article you may see a click here for more
information, or to go to a link, these often will not work,
as the original information, was taken from a page with
HTML links. This is when you will want to go to the webpage
indicated in the article, ++ ,for 'the rest of the story'
***MfM*** indicates that I am adding my own information to a
                  particular article.
Mike ~It's a good day if I learned something new.
You can read a sample of my newsletter on my web page
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/
My virus pages http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
mytech@xxxxxxxxxxx

~*~*~*~*~
Was this forwarded to you? Want to subscribe? Send an email
to mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info mikeswhatsnews" without
the quotes.

If you wish to unsubscribe from our list send an email to
mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe

mikeswhatsnews-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
~*~*~*~*~