[MikesWhatsNews] MWN #519

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mikeswhatsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 16:50:13 -0700

MikesWhatsNews, 20, 06, 2002
in today's issue #519
Mike's Computer
Matrox Parhelia? 512
DVD Demystified
Robot Puzzle version: 1.11
Tina's FrontPage Tips
CCC   bxAutoZip
         Print Part of A Web Page
NOTE: Any time you see the "  ++ ",  it means there is more of the
article, or story, on the linked site. Mike

Mike's Computer
Someone  asked me about my computer<BG>

My home network consist of an ADSL 3com modem hooked up to a Telus
BC ADSL line
It runs to a Netgear MR 314 wireless Router

In my den I have my Main computer, an AMD Thunderbird 1000CPU with
512 meg ram, and a Matrox 450 dual head video card.
I have a 19" VeiwSonic monitor, and a second 15' Samsung
SyncMaster 570V TFT flat panel.
2 ~ 20 gig western digital Hard drives  7200 rpm on removble drive
bays.
Networking, running a D-Link 10 -100 network interface card (nix)
same card in all computers.
The other computer on my desk is a AMD6/2-500, with 128meg ram,
S3Virge DX/GH PCI, with a 15' TVM AS5S monitor.
With a fixed 4 gig HD and a removable 15 gig HD, running a D-Link
10 -100 network interface card .
I sometimes bring in my Compaq P266 laptop, when I'm building
webs, it conects through a wireless network hub.

In the other room I have my old AND MMX 200, with 512 meg ram,
dual 20gig hard drives on removable drive bays.
Dimond Stelth 2000 3D PCI video card, and a 17' Acerview76ie
monitor, running a D-Link 10 -100 network interface card.
I hope to move this one onto my desk once I get additional cooling
added to my room.
In that same room I have my old serve an IBM Apriva P2 255, with
128 meg ran, 3 gig hard drive, and a Syquest scusi 1 gig cartrage
drive, and 15 in monitor. Running a D-Link 10 -100 network
interface card.

I also still have my Mac Quadra 700, with 48 meg of ram, and its
14.4 moden for backup when the ADSL goes down.

I also have my old 486 DX4/100 with Nix card network ready.
Annother 486 33 for dos games.
Also a 'Touch' brand p266 that needs a mother board battery.

We aere special needs forster parents, so I try to maintain a
variety of computers on hand to allow the children the oportunity
to learn safe computer useage.

AV and security I have Zone Alarm free running on all networked
machines.
I have NAV 2002 on the AMD 1000, and MMX 200, and Norton for Macs
on the Quadra 700.
The AMD 500 Uses PC-Cillin 20002, and the Compaq Laptop has
PC-cillan 2000 the Apriva is still using IPE as it has not been on

line recently.
The Quadra 700 is using Noron utilities 2

 When Inoculate announced they would not be providing
free AV any more I bought PC-Cillin 2000,
 as it was one of the best performing in the Hackfix test.

 Currently AntiVir Personal Edition is one of the best performing,
 and it is free.
 It seems to be updating the most frequently of all the AV
programs.
 I will be using it on my old server when I bring it into my den.

 I'm running out of space, I have 3 monitors on the desk
currently.
 When I'm composing webs, I sometime bring the laptop Compaq P266,
 networked, [normally in the front room], in as well.
 I like to be able to see how fast the pages load on different
 browsers and download speed.

I just heard about another computer today that is being traded in,

who knows that new 3 head card ( next article) would be fun.
MIKE

 Matrox Parhelia? 512 ~ Triple Monitors!
http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/parhelia/home.cfm
Designed for demanding professional and business users, discerning
PC enthusiasts and gaming connoisseurs, Matrox Parhelia?
graphics accelerators combine unparalleled quality, excellent
performance and innovative features to provide a completely
immersive high-fidelity graphics experience.

With an unprecedented number of revolutionary technologies, Matrox
Parhelia cards take 2D quality, professional productivity and 3D
realism to a new level.

Key features:
 512-bit GPU
 256-bit DDR memory interface
 128 MB DDR memory
 Advanced multi-display: Triple-RGB, Dual-DVI, TV output
 High performance 2D, 3D & video
 Surround Gaming
 10-bit GigaColor
 AGP 4X
++ There is more on the web site.

***MfM*** YES I want one<g>

Reviews;
<http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/S&V/matroxparheliapr.shtml>
<http://extreme.ziffdavis.com/cgi-bin10/flo?y=eQtI0CIa110FBc0oA40

DVD Demystified
http://www.dvddemystified.com
The best-selling book about DVD technology.
Home of the official DVD FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions about
DVD) of the Internet DVD newsgroups.
The most comprehensive source of DVD technical information in the
galaxy.
By Jim Taylor.
++

 Robot Puzzle version: 1.11 ~ freeware
http://www.nzp.ca/page_1.html
Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP

The POLARIS spaceship is rapidly approaching Mars. Captain Corbett
prepares the XTR-4, earth's most advanced robot, for a
surveillance mission on the planet's surface. A problem arises
however, when Captain Corbett fails to recall the correct assembly
sequence for the XTR-4 activation disks. Unless the disks are
correctly aligned within the XTR-4 unit, the robot will fail to
activate, and earth's most important mission will be a failure!
Can you help activate the XTR-4 robot before the POLARIS reaches
Mars?
++

Tina's FrontPage Tips, by Tina Clarke

Pointing to the graphics application

If your default image editor is Image Composer, but you want
to use another application, you need to reconfigure the
settings and point to the one you want.
1. In FrontPage, select Tools + Options.
2. In the Options dialog box, click the Configure Editors
    tab.
    A list of different file types and the editor--or program--
    that FrontPage uses to work with that type of file
    appears. Because you're working with image files, the
    most important types of files are GIF and JPEG.
3. Highlight the GIF file type and click Modify; then browse
    to find the photoediting program's executable file, select
    it, and click OK.
4. Highlight the JPEG file type and click Modify; then
    browse to find the photoediting program's executable file,
    select it, and click OK.
5. When finished, click OK to exit the Options dialog box.

AccessFP ~ FrontPage Resource Centre
Site ~  http://www.accessfp.net/
Ezine & Forums ~ http://anyfrontpage.com/  FREE FP E-Books

Christies Computer Corner thanks to Christy;
<1stPicksoftware-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

bxAutoZip
Free for private use.
Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2k/XP  also requires Outlook
http://www.baxbex.com/products.html#bxautozip
Available in English, Spanish, German, French, Italian, Dansk

Automated compression for Outlook!

bxAutoZip is a dedicated add-in utility for Microsoft Outlook
which automatically and independently compresses any files
attached to an e-mail message.  Compression dramatically reduces
the size of e-mail attachments, allowing much faster transfer
times.  The result is significant savings in time and money for
both the sender and the recipient.  Thanks to the program's
seamless integration into Outlook, not one single extra step is
required to zip the files.

Be sure to check out some of the other software offered on site.
~~~~~~~

Print Part of A Web Page
Have you ever wanted to print just part
of a web page?

Position your mouse at the beginning of the text you want to
print. While holding down the left mouse button, drag the cursor
to the end of your text. Release the mouse button. The text you
wish to print should be highlighted. Click the (F)ile menu the
(P)rint and should see an options screen - under "Print Range"
choose (S)election.

Was this forwarded to you ?
Get your own subscription here:
<1stpickPCtips-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Antivirus software is a good choice to scan your system for
possible viruses, however no virus scanner is 100% effective
as manufactures cannot keep up with the rapid change of
viruses that happens daily.
Be sure to update yours regularly.
http://www.hackfix.org/software/antivirus.html

Please feel free, to offer constructive criticism, as that will
help me keep it interesting.
I also welcome any submissions about new products, web pages, or
articles of interest.

All submissions posted in the newsletter will be given proper
credit.
"MikesWhatsNews" believes in giving credit where credit is due
but at times deadlines and information that is very important to
readers we accidentally misspost an item.
If you believe something to be miscredited, or you know the author
of one of the articles which we have posted as 'unknown', please
do let us know so we can correct the information where applicable.

Many times in a article you may see a click here for more
information, or to go to a link, these often will not work,
as the original information, was taken from a page with
HTML links. This is when you will want to go to the webpage
indicated in the article, ++ ,for 'the rest of the story'
***MfM*** indicates that I am adding my own information to a
                  particular article.
Mike ~It's a good day if I learned something new.
You can read a sample of my newsletter on my web page
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/
My virus pages http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
mytech@xxxxxxxxxxx

~*~*~*~*~
Was this forwarded to you? Want to subscribe? Send an email
to mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info mikeswhatsnews" without
the quotes.

If you wish to unsubscribe from our list send an email to
mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe

mikeswhatsnews-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
~*~*~*~*~