[MikesWhatsNews] MWN #520 HackFix

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mikeswhatsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 17:28:10 -0700

MikesWhatsNews, 12, 06, 2002
in today's issue #520
HackFix Updates
2       Celestia 1.2.4
3       ThinkFree Office
4       Google Search Via E-Mail
5       DiamondCS RegistryProt v2.0
6       Games with Vision
7       Tina's FrontPage Tips ~ Butt What A Table
8       CCC      Filetopia
9               How To Protect Your Address Book
10      Tip IE Keyboard Shortcut
11      Password Reveal 1.0

NOTE: Any time you see the "  ++ ",  it means there is more of the

article, or story, on the linked site. Mike

  HackFix updates, thanks to Christy;
staff@xxxxxxxxxxx
Http://www.hackfix.org

Duet to IPS problems the HackFix Updates will be sent tomorow.
2
Celestia 1.2.4 ~ freeware
http://ennui.shatters.net/celestia/
Win 95/ 98/ ME/ NT/ 2000/ XP
An improved virtual tour of the galaxy.
Celestia is a free real-time space simulation that lets you
experience our universe in three dimensions. Unlike most
planetarium software, Celestia doesn't confine you to the surface
of the Earth. You can travel throughout the solar system, to any
of over 100,000 stars, or even beyond the galaxy. All travel in
Celestia is seamless; the exponential zoom feature lets you
explore space across a huge range of scales, from galaxy clusters
down to spacecraft only a few meters across. A 'point-and-goto'
interface makes it simple to navigate through the universe to the
object you want to visit.

3
ThinkFree Office
http://www.thinkfree.com/index.jsp
The award-winning ThinkFree Office is an affordable suite of word
processing, spreadsheet, and presentation graphics applications.
Its powerful, yet easy-to-use applications can seamlessly open,
edit, and save directly to the corresponding Microsoft(R) Office
file formats like .doc, .xls, and .ppt.
ThinkFree Write, Calc and Show allows users to effortlessly
exchange files with friends and co-workers using Microsoft Word,
Excel and Powerpoint. Its unique, pure Java architecture enables
it to run on Windows or Macintosh operating systems.
ThinkFree Office features integrated, Internet-based file sharing
and storage with end-to-end security.
++
4
Google Search Via E-Mail

You can now do a google search via e-mail.
Just email google@xxxxxxxxxxxxx and put the text of your query in
the "Subject" line.
You'll receive your search results via email.
Useful for PDAs, mobile phones, offline laptop users, and
generally people who have infrequent, low quality access to the
Internet

Submitted by; Christy
5
DiamondCS RegistryProt v2.0
http://www.diamondcs.com.au/web/htm/regprot.htm
RegistryProt is a 100% free, standalone, compact, low-level
realtime registry monitor and protector, that adds another
dimension to Windows security and intrusion detection. By
monitoring important locations and keys in the Windows system
registry, RegistryProt will alert whenever a key is added or
changed, and then give the option of accepting the key change,
reverting back to the original key setting, or deleting the key.

RegistryProt's most useful attribute is that it will detect the
vast majority of trojans at the exact moment that they
infect/install themselves into your system, and as such provides a
new dimension in trojan and intrusion detection.

6
Announcement from ZForm "Games with Vision"
 Hello, my name is Paul Silva.
I am the president and community director  of ZForm, a company
that creates fully accessible online games that allow  the blind,
low vision, and fully sighted to play together on an equal
footing.
 Do you enjoy playing games with your friends and family?
Frustrated that many games are inaccessible or require sighted
assistance to play, or are you bothered that there are so few ways
to play with your blind friends?
 Our first game, ZForm Poker, launched in April 2002 and has
people playing  around the clock! ZForm Poker is a multiplayer,
online version of five-card draw poker that you can play on your
PC with friends and family around the world.
 Using sound cues and intuitive keyboard commands, we make our
games easy  to learn, fun to play, and accessible to both blind
and visually impaired  players.
Our graphical interface is accessible for those with low vision
and  attractive to sighted friends and family.
 If you would like to download and evaluate ZForm Poker free for
fifteen  days, simply browse to:
 http://games.zform.com/signup.php?referrer=1061
 If you know someone who might also be interested in hearing about
ZForm,  please consider forwarding this message on to them or
sending them to our
 website: www.Zform.com.
7
Tina's FrontPage Tips, by Tina Clarke

Butt What A Table

When you have two tables butted together vertically, it can
be hard to insert a line between them. To do so, place the
cursor after the content of the top table's last cell and
press [Ctrl][Enter].
NOTE: The cursor MUST be in the last cell and MUST be at the
end of all content.

Similarly, to put the insertion point before a table at the
top of your document, place the cursor before the content of
the first cell and press [Ctrl][Enter].

In FrontPage 97, if this cell is empty, you'll have to type
a character in it before hitting [Ctrl][Enter].

AccessFP ~ FrontPage Resource Centre
Site ~  http://www.accessfp.net/
Ezine & Forums ~ http://anyfrontpage.com/  FREE FP E-Books
8
'Christy's Computer Corner'
  thanks to Christy;
http://www.1stpick.org

Filetopia
http://www.filetopia.org/home.htm
Freeware
Windows 95/98/NT/2K/XP

Filetopia is a free communications software that includes:
instant messaging, chat, e-mail, a powerful file sharing system
with a search engine, online friends list and message boards.
What is unique to this software is the level of security and
privacy that it provides. It uses a choice of strong ciphers and
public key techniques for all
communications and sophisticated techniques to protect your IP
and thus make you truly anonymous and safe from attacks.

~~~~~~~~
9

How To Protect Your Address Book
Keep the often used addresses in your address book but make them
foolproof.
Meaning a virus could never figure out your secret.   Alter the
addresses
slightly such as for this list you could enter it into your
address book as
11stpickpctips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
then when you wanted to send an email address it as you normally
would and remove the leading 1.
This way in the very off chance you did find yourself infected the
virus would only send itself to an unknown address which wouldn't
harm anyone.

Or keep them in a password protected text file so all you need to
do is open it up and copy/paste the addresses you need.   Password
protecting the file helps prevent virus (and others) from reading
it.

Was this forwarded to you ?
Get your own subscription here:
<1stpickPCtips-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

10
Tip IE Keyboard Shortcut ~ Mike

In IE 5 and later you can open the text box;
Shift> F10 for options to open the link in a new window or to add
the link to the Favorites menu.
When the menu opens, you can launch any of the commands by
selecting the underlined letter.

I find this helpful when the USB mouse is not working, or I'm
working with the keyboard.
My fingers do not have to leave the KB.
11
Password Reveal 1.0
http://camtech2000.net/Pages/Password_Reveal.html
Win 95/98/NT/2000
Programs that remember our passwords are pretty handy.
The Window opens showing the asterisks (****) covering the
password, we click Ok and we're in.
But what happens if we forget that password and need it again for
something.
We either didn't write it down or forgot where it was written.
That's where Password Reveal comes in.
Grab the target icon with the mouse button, drop it on the
password box and it uncovers the password.
Password Reveal works on programs, not Web Pages.
++

Antivirus software is a good choice to scan your system for
possible
viruses, however no virus scanner is 100% effective as
manufactures
cannot keep up with the rapid change of viruses that happens
daily.
Be sure to update yours regularly.
http://www.hackfix.org/software/antivirus.html

Please feel free, to offer constructive criticism, as that will
help me keep it interesting.
I also welcome any submissions about new products, web pages, or
articles of interest.

All submissions posted in the newsletter will be given proper
credit.
"MikesWhatsNews" believes in giving credit where credit is due
but at times deadlines and information that is very important to
readers we accidentally misspost an item.
If you believe something to be miscredited, or you know the author
of one of the articles which we have posted as 'unknown', please
do let us know so we can correct the information where applicable.

Many times in a article you may see a click here for more
information, or to go to a link, these often will not work,
as the original information, was taken from a page with
HTML links. This is when you will want to go to the webpage
indicated in the article, ++ ,for 'the rest of the story'
***MfM*** indicates that I am adding my own information to a
                  particular article.
~~~~
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike
See my Anti-Virus pages ~ http://virusinfo.hackfix.org

~*~*~*~*~
Was this forwarded to you? Want to subscribe? Send an email
to mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info mikeswhatsnews" without
the quotes.

If you wish to unsubscribe from our list send an email to
mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe

mikeswhatsnews-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
~*~*~*~*~