[MikesWhatsNews] MWN #518

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mikeswhatsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 16:48:32 -0700

MikesWhatsNews, 19, 06, 2002
in today's issue #518
DailyEarth.com
PrintDeskTop
UPDATING THE EditReg REGISTRY PATCH
ZoneAlarm Plus
Where You Can Buy A Computer Running LindowsOS
The Bird Cage Puzzle Version: 1.16
File Format Converter and URL Conversion
FLP V 1.1
Tina's FrontPage Tips
CCC   Lord of the Rings Lego Style
         Taskbar Gets In Your Way ?

Global directory of online newspapers organized by state and
country.

http://www.dailyearth.com/

Submitted by; Christy

PrintDeskTop
http://www.printdesktop.com/
PrintDeskTop is a freeware screen print utility for Windows
(95/98/NT/ME/2000/XP).
PrintDeskTop lets you print your screen with the click of a mouse
or the shortcut key of your choice.
To use PrintDeskTop, simply download and install it, then click
the Windows Start button followed by the PrintDeskTop icon.
You can optionally define a shortcut key to print your screen.
++

UPDATING THE EditReg REGISTRY PATCH  (New content 6/16/02)
http://www.aumha.org/elist.htm
And, one more thing to Alex Nichol?s credit before we go on to
other things:
In a recent discussion on our support forums , Alex made a cogent
recommendation concerning the EditReg registry patch offered on
our Registry Patches page.
http://www.aumha.org/regfiles.htm
 The original EditReg registry patch was written by MS-MVP Frank
Saunders.
After you install this Registry patch, the default is changed for
when you click on a Registry (.REG) file so that, instead of being
automatically merged into your Registry, it is opened in Notepad.
This prevents a lot of accidents!
To merge the .REG file into your Registry, you need to do
something more intentional, i.e., right-click on the file and
select Merge.
++

ZoneAlarm Plus
http://zonelabs.rsc02.net/servlet/website/ResponseForm?SgEZ-UAwsNle

New ZoneAlarm Plus combines advanced security with improved
usability to give you the ultimate in "pure firewall" protection.
Now through this EXCLUSIVE offer to the current ZoneAlarm user
community, you can purchase new ZoneAlarm Plus at a special price,
before it is available to the public.
This is the code-complete final release!
++
Thanks to; Ross
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Computer_Help_and_Discussion

-----------------------

Where You Can Buy A Computer Running LindowsOS
Michael's Minute: announced the first place in the world where you
can buy a computer running LindowsOS
<http://www.lindows.com/lindows_products_lindowsos.php>  -
Walmart.com
(lindows.com/walmart <http://www.lindows.com/walmart> ).
The complete line-up of computers running LindowsOS ranges in
price from $299- $599.
Some in the press may write about this development because it's
not every day a new operating system becomes available on
computers.
They may write that it's a major milestone for nine-month-old
Lindows.com <http://www.lindows.com/>  to partner with
the world's largest retailer.
Perhaps they'll mention how it's a sign that LinuxR technology
will play a larger roll on consumer desktops in the future. Or
maybe they'll commend Wal-Mart and Microtel for giving consumers
choice in spite of pressure from a monopolist not to do so.
All of which is true.
From; Lindows.com Michael's Minute:

The Bird Cage Puzzle Version: 1.16 ~ freeware
http://www.nzp.ca/page_3.html
Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP
Within the Emperor's Palace there stand five birdcages in five
different rooms. Everyday at sunrise, the birds begin to sing,
creating wonderful melodies that please the Emperor very much.
The Emperor believes that changing the location of the birdcages
will create even greater melodies.
The Emperor is anxious to test his hypothesis,
and has enlisted your help in finding the most
efficient route for relocating the birdcages.
Are you up to the task?
++

File Format Converter and URL Conversion
http://wheel.compose.cs.cmu.edu:8001/cgi-bin/browse/objweb

Convert a MS Word file into an Adobe PDF?
A MIF file to a PICT?
You can do these and dozens of other file
format conversions at this site.
It's not only free - there aren't even any ads!
From: Support Alert
 www.techsupportalert.com

FLP V 1.1
http://pitcher.mine.nu:8080/flg.html
FLG is a free File List Generator.
It searches the directory tree for the files with the requested
criteria and produces a list in HTML format.
++

Console Tools
http://www.diamondcs.com.au/web/htm/consoletools.htm
Add more power to your command prompt with our free console tools!

Freeware tools include CRC32/MD5/SHA-160 secure hashes,
Password Reveal, Uptime, ICMP TraceRoute, ICMP Ping, IP list,
Send Mail, HTTP Get, Resolve, XWhois and more!
++
From; http://www.diamondcs.com.au/

Tina's FrontPage Tips, by Tina Clarke

Which is which

If you're a little confused as to which file is which. The
best way to find out which is a executable file is:
1. Selecting the file you think is the correct one,
    right-click the filename and choose Properties.
2. In the next dialog box, you see a listing with the DOS
    name of the program. If the name has the .EXE file
    extension, it's an executable file. The dialog box also
    mentions that the file is an application.
3. Click Cancel to exit this dialog box and then select the
    application to be your default photoeditor.

AccessFP ~ FrontPage Resource Centre
Site ~  http://www.accessfp.net/
Ezine & Forums ~ http://anyfrontpage.com/  FREE FP E-Books

Christies Computer Corner thanks to Christy;
<1stPicksoftware-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Lord of the Rings Lego Style

http://www.chem.ucla.edu/%7Ebnh/lotr/lotrmain.html

J.R.R. Tolkein's Lord of the Rings told with Lego characters.
(not all chapters included)
~~~~~~~

 Taskbar gets in your way ?

If the taskbar gets in your way, there are a few ways to move
or hide it. You can move it to the top or sides of your screen
by dragging and dropping it on the appropriate edge. Wherever
the taskbar is, right-click on it, choose Properties and check
the Auto Hide option to make it disappear until you move the
mouse pointer to the screen edge where it hides. To hide it
permanently, turn off Auto Hide and drag the taskbar off the
screen. Its edge will stay visible so you can drag it back
again.

Was this forwarded to you ?
Get your own subscription here:
<1stpickPCtips-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Antivirus software is a good choice to scan your system for
possible viruses, however no virus scanner is 100% effective
as manufactures
cannot keep up with the rapid change of viruses that happens
daily.
Be sure to update yours regularly.
http://www.hackfix.org/software/antivirus.html

Please feel free, to offer constructive criticism, as that will
help me keep it interesting.
I also welcome any submissions about new products, web pages,
or articles of interest.

All submissions posted in the newsletter will be given proper
credit.
"MikesWhatsNews" believes in giving credit where credit is due
but at times deadlines and information that is very important to
readers we accidentally misspost an item.
If you believe something to be miscredited, or you know the
author of one of the articles which we have posted as 'unknown',
please do let us know so we can correct the information where
applicable.

Many times in a article you may see a click here for more
information, or to go to a link, these often will not work,
as the original information, was taken from a page with HTML
links.
This is when you will want to go to the webpage indicated in the
article,
++ ,for 'the rest of the story'
***MfM*** indicates that I am adding my own information to a
                  particular article.
Mike ~It's a good day if I learned something new.
You can read a sample of my newsletter on my web page
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/
My virus pages http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
mytech@xxxxxxxxxxx

~*~*~*~*~
Was this forwarded to you? Want to subscribe? Send an email
to mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info mikeswhatsnews" without
the quotes.

If you wish to unsubscribe from our list send an email to
mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe

mikeswhatsnews-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
~*~*~*~*~