[MikesWhatsNews] MWN #513

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mikeswhatsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 17:17:39 -0700

MikesWhatsNews, 12, 06, 2002
in today's issue #513
How IDE Controllers Work
Panicware.NET Online Services
Enable Shutdown Event Tracker
Read Test
Gilbert Goodmate and the Mushroom of Phungoria
Tina's FrontPage Tips
CCC   Interesting Software Specifically For Win NT/2k/XP
         Preaddressed mailtos
NOTE: Any time you see the "  ++ ",  it means there is more of the

article, or story, on the linked site. Mike

How IDE Controllers Work -
  http://www.howstuffworks.com/ide.htm
  The Integrated Drive Electronics interface is the most popular
  way to connect a hard drive to a PC. Find out where IDE came
  from and how it works today.
From; How Stuff Works ~ www.howstuffworks.com

Panicware.NET Online Services
http://www.panicware.net/
 Protect your privacy world-wide!

Panicware online services allow you to keep complete Internet and
System file cleaning at your fingertips anywhere in the world.

 Clean ANY PC for FREE anywhere in the world!
 Click here to clean your computer for free!
 http://www.panicware.net/pwolpreclean.php
 Online Cleaning of Internet and System Files

Keep your system clean and free of Internet tracking.   Clean
cache, cookies, drop-down URL and browser history, autocomplete
forms and password data.   Empty the recycle bin, clear recently
viewed documents and temporary Internet files!

 Detection of Snoopware and Tracking Programs

Keep your personal information and usage on any computer private
by detecting the presence of Snoopware or other types of Tracking
programs that may track your usage on a computer by logging
screens, keystrokes, web-sites visited, etc.  (Coming Soon)
 ++

Enable Shutdown Event Tracker (Windows XP)
The Shutdown Event Tracker provides a simple and standard
mechanism you can use to consistently document the reasons for
shutting down or restarting your computer. The information
provided is recorded in the system log in Event Viewer.

Open your registry and find the key below.

Registry Settings
System Key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Relia
bility]
Value Name: ShutdownReasonUI
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (0 = default, 1 = enabled)

Create a new DWORD value or modify the existing value named
"ShutdownReasonUI" and set it to "1" to enable shutdown event
tracking.
When enabled an additional drop-down option box will be displayed
with various planned and unplanned shutdown reasons.
Restart Windows for the change to take effect.

Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that
may require you to reinstall your operating system. We cannot
guarantee that problems resulting from modifications to the
registry can be solved. Use the information provided at your own
risk.
++
From; Windows Registry Guide Update from WinGuides.com
http://www.winguides.com/registry/

Read Test
http://www.gibinsoft.net/gipoutils/
Read Test for Files and Folders
Freeware.   Languages: English, German.

This utility checks files and folders for read errors under
Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP.
This kind of test is useful for those who write data to different
types of media (floppies or CDR/CDRW/DVDRW/etc) and want to ensure
that written data is OK. The program allows selecting the file or
folder to check. The program can also check subfolders of the
specified folder if necessary.
The program can be integrated into shell (setup creates the "Read
test" context menu item and GiPo@Utilities file/folder property
page).
++

Gilbert Goodmate and the Mushroom of Phungoria ~ trial version
http://www.gilbertgoodmate.co.uk/
 Windows 2000/95/98/ME/NT
THE sacred mushroom of Phungoria has been stolen, Grandpa Goodmate
is going to be executed and things ain't looking too good. Now
it's up to YOU? catch the thief, recover the mushroom and save
Grandpa?all by the end of the week!

Gilbert Goodmate and the Mushroom of Phungoria is set to be one of
THE most exciting adventure games launched this year with
breathtaking animation, packed with over 40 hours of riveting
gameplay, puzzle solving and interaction with over 50 cool
characters!
++

Tina's FrontPage Tips, by Tina Clarke

Setting White as Default Background Colour for all New Pages

It is very common for web-developer's to overlook turning
their page background colour to white because it already
appears white in the FrontPage Normal View, when it is
actually set to "default" in the Page Properties. If your
default background colour is set to white in your browser,
you may not catch it when you view your pages, either.
To thwart this in the future, you can modify your "normal
page template" in FrontPage to always have white set as the
background colour automatically when you create a new page.
Here's how to do it.
Open a web in Frontpage:
Press File | New (FP02 ? File or web | Page Templates)
Normal
Do Not tick "Just Add Task", Click ok
To make background and other changes:
Click Format | Background. Then change the background, fonts
and hyperlinks to the colours you wish to choose, you can
also change the margins, with this dialog box as well if you
wish and also meta tags that you wish to use globally.
Now you are ready to save:
Click | File | Save As (Not Save)
Change the text in the  url and title boxes to normal
Click Save as Type
Check the url and title say normal
Click ok.
From now on you will have a blank page with the colours you
have set up. For Background that should be white, for text
black and for hyperlinks whatever you wish, this depends on
how you generally use your pages. If you prefer dark
backgrounds choose hyperlink colours that are going to be
visible.

AccessFP ~ FrontPage Resource Centre
Site ~  http://www.accessfp.net/
Ezine & Forums ~ http://anyfrontpage.com/  FREE FP E-Books

Christies Computer Corner thanks to Christy;
<1stPicksoftware-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Interesting software specifically for Win NT/2k/XP  at
http://www.ntutility.com/

The programs presented at this site are designed to improve your
work with Windows 2000, Windows NT and
 Windows XP and to make your computer systems and networks more
secure...
~~~~~~~

Preaddressed mailtos

Yesterday we showed you how to put a mailto shortcut on the Start
Menu (to get it off the desktop!).  If you've played around with
it at all, you may have discovered that you can also create
mailto shortcuts for individual email addresses. Start by
creating one the way we did before. Just right-click on the
Desktop and choose New, Shortcut. This time, after typing

mailto:

in the Command line, follow the colon with the email address you
want this shortcut to place into the To field. Then click Next,
choose an appropriate name for your shortcut, and click OK to
finish. Now you can double-click this shortcut and have the
designated address in the To field, ready to go.

Was this forwarded to you ?
Get your own subscription here:
<1stpickPCtips-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Antivirus software is a good choice to scan your system for
possible
viruses, however no virus scanner is 100% effective as
manufactures
cannot keep up with the rapid change of viruses that happens
daily.
Be sure to update yours regularly.
http://www.hackfix.org/software/antivirus.html

Please feel free, to offer constructive criticism, as that will
help me keep
it interesting.
I also welcome any submissions about new products, web pages, or
articles of interest.

All submissions posted in the newsletter will be given proper
credit.
"MikesWhatsNews" believes in giving credit where credit is due but
at
times deadlines and information that is very important to readers
we
accidentally misspost an item.
If you believe something to be miscredited, or you know the author
of
one of the articles which we have posted as 'unknown', please do
let us
know so we can correct the information where applicable.

Many times in a article you may see a click here for more
information,
or to go to a link, these often will not work, as the original
information,
was taken from a page with HTML links.
This is when you will want to go to the webpage indicated in the
article,
++ ,for 'the rest of the story'
***MfM*** indicates that I am adding my own information to a
                  particular article.
Mike ~It's a good day if I learned something new.
You can read a sample of my newsletter on my web page
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/
My virus pages http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
mytech@xxxxxxxxxxx

~*~*~*~*~
Was this forwarded to you? Want to subscribe? Send an email
to mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info mikeswhatsnews" without
the quotes.

If you wish to unsubscribe from our list send an email to
mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe

mikeswhatsnews-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
~*~*~*~*~