[MikesWhatsNews] MWN #512

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mikeswhatsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 16:43:06 -0700

MikesWhatsNews, 11, 06, 2002
in today's issue #512
MoveOnBoot 1.6
Zabugorie: The Fairy Planet
Letter Chase Typing Tutor 3.7
AMarker for Windows
UniDream PhotoPlayer
Tina's FrontPage Tips
CCC      Ultimate Zip
            Starting the Mailto
NOTE: Any time you see the "  ++ ",  it means there is more of the

article, or story, on the linked site. Mike

MoveOnBoot 1.6
http://www.gibinsoft.net/gipoutils/
Copying/Moving/Deleting on Next Boot
Freeware.   Languages: English, German.

Copies, moves or deletes files on next system boot for Win
95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP.
The utility is very useful when user needs to replace or delete
files which are locked by other applications, loaded into memory
or cannot be changed until next system boot.
The program can be integrated into shell (setup creates the
"Copy/Move/Delete on boot" context menu item and GiPo@Utilities
file/folder property page).
++

 Zabugorie: The Fairy Planet ~ freeware
http://www.zabugorie.com/
 Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT
 An amusing adventure game series.

Zabugorie: The Fairy Planet is the first instalment of an amusing
and zany five part adventure game.
It uses simple 3D graphics and a point and click interface,
including the standard commands such as look, pick up and talk, in
order to interact with the various objects and characters in the
game.

The plot is as follows: aliens tried to steal the sun but Yaga the
witch stopped them and trapped them and their craft on Zabugorie.
For the aliens to escape they need to locate their energy chest,
which has been lost.

Your task is to get to the chest before they do, driving the
aliens off the planet.
It is a crazy plot, but hides a fairly good game.
++

Letter Chase Typing Tutor 3.7
http://www.letterchase.com/
Platform Windows 95/98/NT/ XP
Type SHAREWARE

Letter Chase Typing Tutor is a complete typing program for all
levels. Letter Chase software runs on all versions of Windows and
works on most networks. With Letter Chase, it has never been
easier to learn to type! Beginners are guided by animated hands to
learn the keys. Even young kids can learn the keyboard with Letter
Chase, making it ideal for schools and educational institutions
(many elementary and high schools are Letter Chase users), as well
as corporate training (keypad training included with the program).
Experts learn how to become masters of speed typing. Home computer
users also benefit from learning the touch-type method. No more
hunt and peck, two finger typing. Within days you can memorize the
qwerty keyboard and go on to developing speed. Letter Chase is a
master at teaching speed typing. Two unique lessons will have you
up to speed faster than any other typing courses, and with greater
accuracy. We call them "Word Sweep" and "Letter Chase." Download
for a 30 day free trial!
++

AMarker for Windows 95/98/NT/2000 and XP
http://www.uniphiz.com/amarker.htm
Windows desktop launcher provides you alternative methods to
launch applications or on the contrary to forbid a mouse click and
to protect desktop.
Simple draw screen menu.
It adds an artistic touch to your standard desktop.
AMarker launches applications named in menu items.
Download a full-functional 30-day trial version of AMarker and buy
it for only $19.95.

 With AMarker you can easily draw colored transparent or hidden
regions over the screen and assign a mouse click action to the
area.
With screen menu you get quick access to desktop shortcuts, easily
manage links and launch applications.
 ++

UniDream PhotoPlayer 3.2.1
http://www.unidreamtech.com/phoplay.html
Win 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP
DirectX 8 or above
(PP) is a SMALL (about 600K) and GREEN program specially designed
for playing multimedia files on CDs as well as on hard drives. It
features automatic search and play, background music and image,
slide transition effects, multiple display modes and view styles,
captions with adjustable fonts, dynamic and multiple play
intervals, CD autorun and much more. It supports most common
graphic formats including animated GIF and all media files
supported by Microsoft Windows Media Player.
++

Tina's FrontPage Tips, by Tina Clarke

Clearing your cache

FrontPage 98 stores all its temp files (cache) in its own
subdirectory, which is usually stored at
...C:\Program Files\Microsoft FrontPage\temp...
FrontPage 98 does not clear these automatically so sooner
rather than later your hard drive will be bulging!
To clear out these temp files
Select Windows Explorer to locate the FrontPage Temp
subdirectory
Select and delete all its contents (but don't delete the
temp subdirectory itself)
Or you can:
Press Start
Select Find | Find Folders under the Name and Location tab |
Named box enter first:
*.tmp ~ Press 'Find Now' and wait till all the files are
located Go to the menu bar and click Edit | Select all.
Right click in the window pane on the files under the 'Name'
column and select Delete in the pop up menu, click yes when
the recycle bin asks if you want to delete them.
*.chk ~ Do the same with .chk.
FrontPage 2000/02 have a built-in provision for deleting the
contents of the temp subdirectory. Tools | Web Settings |
Advanced Tab, click the Delete Files button.

AccessFP ~ FrontPage Resource Centre
Site ~  http://www.accessfp.net/
Ezine & Forums ~ http://anyfrontpage.com/  FREE FP E-Books

Christies Computer Corner thanks to Christy;
<1stPicksoftware-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe

Ultimate Zip
http://www.ultimatezip.com/
Freeware
Win 95/98/ME/NT/2k/XP

If you're looking for a utility to zip and unzip files, Ultimate
Zip has everything you need. Ultimate Zip supports sixteen
different compression archive file types including ZIP, GZIP,
RAR, TAR, LHA, LZH and ARJ. Ultimate Zip
can create self-extracting ZIP archives, it integrates into the
Shell, features a drag and drop interface and also works with
e-mail. It does all this, and best of all it's free!

~~~~~~~

Starting the Mailto
We ran a tip a while ago (no dont ask when <g) explaining how to
create a mailto shortcut on your desktop, allowing you to open a
blank email without opening your email application. Some dont
like all kinds of shortcuts on the desktop so there is another
place for this shortcut. Simply drag the mailto: shortcut to the
Start Menu, so it was easily accessible at any time. To do this,
you just create the mailto shortcut as you would normally:
Right-click on the Desktop and choose New, Shortcut. In the
Command line, type

mailto:

And then give your Shortcut an appropriate name, something like
Blank Email. Then drag your mailto shortcut to the Start button
until it opens, and place it wherever you like on the Start menu.

Was this forwarded to you ?
Get your own subscription here:
<1stpickPCtips-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe

Antivirus software is a good choice to scan your system for
possible
viruses, however no virus scanner is 100% effective as
manufactures
cannot keep up with the rapid change of viruses that happens
daily.
Be sure to update yours regularly.
http://www.hackfix.org/software/antivirus.html

Please feel free, to offer constructive criticism, as that will
help me keep
it interesting.
I also welcome any submissions about new products, web pages, or
articles of interest.

All submissions posted in the newsletter will be given proper
credit.
"MikesWhatsNews" believes in giving credit where credit is due but
at
times deadlines and information that is very important to readers
we
accidentally misspost an item.
If you believe something to be miscredited, or you know the author
of
one of the articles which we have posted as 'unknown', please do
let us
know so we can correct the information where applicable.

Many times in a article you may see a click here for more
information,
or to go to a link, these often will not work, as the original
information,
was taken from a page with HTML links.
This is when you will want to go to the webpage indicated in the
article,
++ ,for 'the rest of the story'
***MfM*** indicates that I am adding my own information to a
                  particular article.
Mike ~It's a good day if I learned something new.
<mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe
You can read a sample of my newsletter on my web page
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/
My virus pages http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
mytech@xxxxxxxxxxx

~*~*~*~*~
Was this forwarded to you? Want to subscribe? Send an email
to mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info mikeswhatsnews" without
the quotes.

If you wish to unsubscribe from our list send an email to
mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe

mikeswhatsnews-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
~*~*~*~*~