[MikesWhatsNews] MWN #507

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mikeswhatsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 16:52:15 -0700

MikesWhatsNews, 4, 06, 2002
in today's issue #507
Free Security E-Book
Q-Sort 2000
Taipei Solitaire
iCopy
ExamDiff 1.6G
Registry Hacks
Tina's FrontPage Tips
Agent Ransack 1.7.1
CCC      VCW Vicman's Photo Editor
        Where is the Regestry

Free Security E-Book
http://www.thesecurityservice.co.uk/
Robert Schifreen is probably the UK's best-known IT security
commentator and writer.  In addition to his columns in magazines
such as Secure Computing, he is also a frequent interviewee on radio
and TV.
He is also a regular contributor to the security problem clinic at
www.itsecurity.com.

Robert has contributed a monthly column to Secure Computing
magazine since 1993.
You can download a free e-book containing more than 100 previous
columns.
++

Q-Sort 2000
http://www.hyperq.com/qsort.htm
For Windows 95/98/ME
If you use Windows 98, Windows ME or Windows 95 with Internet
Explorer 4 Desktop Update sometimes the order of the Start Menu
and Favorites entries get mixed up.
Q-Sort 2000 arranges the "Programs" section of your Start Menu and
your Internet Explorer Favorites in alphabetical order with a single
mouse click.
You can let sort your Start Menu and Favorites every time you
start-up your computer.
Q-Sort 2000 is Freeware.
++

Taipei Solitaire
http://www.lenagames.com/dtaipei.htm
Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP
Play Taipei solitaire game on your desktop!
Includes 50 taipei and mahjongg game layouts (3 in demo version).
 Additional features: unlimited undo, hints, saving game records,
changing backgrounds, changing tilesets, layouts editor.
++

iCopy ~ freeware
http://www.idev.ch/icopy/
Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP
iCopy allows you to combine your scanner and printer into a copy
machine. It's a small and fast program.
Every TWAIN-compatible scanner can be acquired.
You can change with just one click your printer.
And with another iCopy starts scanning your documents.
On the other hand iCopy also allows you, to scan a document with
the standard TWAIN dialog.
In addition to other programs iCopy just starts printing after your
document has been successfully acquired.

Features

Works with every TWAIN compatible scanner
Choose the type of copy (Color, Gray, Black/White)
Choose how many copies you want to print
Predefined settings for different paper sizes
You can setup the scan quality
Choose the zoom of your copy
Acquire a document with the standard TWAIN dialog
++

ExamDiff 1.6G
http://www.prestosoft.com/examdiff/examdiff.htm
ExamDiff is a freeware Win 95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP tool for visual file
comparison. It has a number of simple and convenient features that
many users have been asking for a long time from a file comparison
tool.
++

Registry Hacks
http://www.forrestandassociates.co.uk/pcforrest/reg_hacks.html
Introduction
DISCLAIMER: These hacks are intended for people who understand a)
how to backup and restore their registries, and b) the REG file format.
Users are advised to read the REG files first, and export relevant
branches that would be over-written prior to trying these fixes.
No responsibility can be taken by the author for people who don't
take the necessary precautions.

Contents
DOSHere
~Access DOS by right-clicking drives and directories.
The current path will reflect the drive/directory clicked.

FindDocs
~ Add a Find... option to the My Documents right-clicked menu.

IcoCache
~ Increase the shell's icon cache.

IconCache
~ Increase the shell's icon cache - an improved method.

IEHelp
~ Disable non-essential Internet Explorer Help options.

MenuCols
~ Add a Windows 95 multi-column menu option in Windows 98.

MPDVD
~ Add DVD functionality to Media Player. Requires a DVD-ROM drive,
    naturally.

MyDocs
~ If you've lost your My Documents desktop icon, and don't have the
'New' > My Documents icon on Desktop option, you'll certainly need this.

NewFix
~ Restore the Windows Explorer New menu.

NoLogon
~ Disable the Cancel option at logon.

OpenNew
~ Re-acquire the ability to open links in a new window.

RegDone
~ Register Windows without telling Microsoft.

SendToX
~ Fix the Send To > Desktop (create shortcut) option.

ShowAttr
~ Restore the Show file attributes on Detail View option in Win 98 SE.

Thumbs
~ Regain the ability to view thumbnails.
++

Tina's FrontPage Tips, by Tina Clarke

Finding the folder

To find a file in the navigation View, Click the file in the
folder list and right click choose =91Find in navigation=92 and
the file will be highlighted in the =91Navigation View=92.

AccessFP - FrontPage Resource Centre
Site -  http://www.accessfp.net/
Ezine & Forums - http://anyfrontpage.com/  FREE FP E-Books

Agent Ransack 1.7.1
http://www.agentransack.com/
Agent Ransack is a tool for finding files and information on your
hard drive fast and efficiently. When searching the contents of
files Agent Ransack displays the text found so you can quickly
browse the results without having to separately open each file!

Agent Ransack provides compelling advantages over similar
search tools:

Regular expressions that allow complex rule based searches.
Immediate contents results view.
Various wizards to walk the user through the searching process.
Agent Ransack is provided FREE of charge for the benefit of the
Windows community.
If you find it useful please register it, free of charge.
++

Christies Computer Corner thanks to Christy;
<1stPicksoftware-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=3Dsubscribe>

VCW Vicman's Photo Editor
http://www.vicman.net/vcwphoto/index.htm
Freeware

VCW Vicman's Photo Editor is an image editing program that offers
tons of powerful features.  Now, adding special effects to your
images has never been easier.  Additional features include:

                      Skins support
                      Embedded button maker
                      Gradient tools
                      Special effects, including distortion and
                      trilinear
                      Support for scanned images

A versatile image editor with intuitive skinnable interface and a
variety of features. This powerful application is user-friendly,
offering users the simplicity of image editing, high productivity
and easy customizing abilities.

~~~~~~~

Where is the Registry
Sender: 1stpickpctips-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

We are not going to make any registry changes/edits today.  Just
get to know where the resgistry is and how it looks.   Take a
look around but dont touch anything this time.

Regedit is a utility that allows you to modify the registry or
browse the current information and peek around at what Windows
is "thinking." Remember, if you do want to play around with the
registry and decide to make some changes, be sure to back it up
first. Even the most experienced users can make mistakes that can
cause Windows to err in a wide variety of ways. To run
Regedit.exe, select 'Run' from the Start menu and type Regedit at
the command line.

Once the registry is open, you will see there are several file
folders that look very similar to the Explorer menu
that you probably use quite often. At this point, you can click
the (+) or (-) symbols to either open or close
various Keys. Keys are the highest level of architecture in the
registry. From here, you can filter down into the
depths of the registry. On this screen (if all Keys are closed)
you will see the various HKEY_*** options.

Play around with the hierarchy and go exploring. If this is your
first encounter with the registry, then just look around.
Without making any changes (select cancel on any boxes that may
open to ensure anything you may have changed is not saved).
Simply close the regedit box when you are finished browsing.

Was this forwarded to you ?
Get your own subscription here:
<1stpickPCtips-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=3Dsubscribe>

Antivirus software is a good choice to scan your system for possible
viruses, however no virus scanner is 100% effective as manufactures
cannot keep up with the rapid change of viruses that happens daily.
Be sure to update yours regularly.
http://www.hackfix.org/software/antivirus.html

Please feel free, to offer constructive criticism, as that will help me=
 keep
it interesting.
I also welcome any submissions about new products, web pages, or
articles of interest.

All submissions posted in the newsletter will be given proper credit.
"MikesWhatsNews" believes in giving credit where credit is due but at
times deadlines and information that is very important to readers we
accidentally misspost an item.
If you believe something to be miscredited, or you know the author of
one of the articles which we have posted as 'unknown', please do let us
know so we can correct the information where applicable.

Many times in a article you may see a click here for more information,
or to go to a link, these often will not work, as the original information,
was taken from a page with HTML links.
This is when you will want to go to the webpage indicated in the article,
++ ,for 'the rest of the story'
***MfM*** indicates that I am adding my own information to a
                  particular article.
Mike ~It's a good day if I learned something new.
<mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=3Dsubscribe>
You can read a sample of my newsletter on my web page
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/
My virus pages http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
mytech@xxxxxxxxxxx

~*~*~*~*~
Was this forwarded to you? Want to subscribe? Send an email
to mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info mikeswhatsnews" without
the quotes.

If you wish to unsubscribe from our list send an email to
mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe

mikeswhatsnews-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
~*~*~*~*~