[MikesWhatsNews] MWN #508

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mikeswhatsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 16:55:36 -0700

MikesWhatsNews, 5, 06, 2002
in today's issue #508
Microsoft's Licensing Deadline Looms
Onesuite.com Long Distance
Longhorn Roundup
Web Window Killer
RegView
McAfee and Microsoft May Be Getting Closer
Kaufman Pravda v1.2
SokoMan  2.01
Tina's FrontPage Tips
CCC      Empty Temp Folders
        Startmenu Without a Windows key
NOTE: Any time you see the "  ++ ",  it means there is more of the

article, or story, on the linked site. Mike

Microsoft's Licensing Deadline Looms ~ by Sebastian Rupley, PC
Magazine
http://www.extremetech.com/article/0,3396,s=201&a=27496,00.asp
Corporate technology managers are facing warnings that they could
pay significantly more for their future Microsoft software
upgrades if
they don't sign up for controversial licensing incentives before
July 31, 2002.
Specifically, after July 31, the new Microsoft Volume Licensing
program
will be completely in place, and incentives currently made
available to
licensees who negotiate new terms will disappear. Microsoft had
set
two previous deadlines for corporate customers to choose new
licensing
programs, but there was enough of an outcry from businesses and
industry organizations that those deadlines were extended.

Microsoft has put together an extensive set of explanations
covering
how the changes in licensing policies will affect customers,
available
at www.microsoft.com/licensing/. The Software Assurance program
includes stipulations requiring that customers agree to buy
software
 before they actually need it, which has met with many objections
from technology managers. Microsoft's Upgrade Advantage program
is available to customers now, but it will be replaced by the
Software Assurance program as of July 31.

The information Microsoft has provided includes breakdowns for
how users of various Microsoft software products will be affected
after the end of July, as well as eligibility requirements for
licensing programs. To qualify for Microsoft's Software Assurance
program, for example, customers must be using versions of
software deemed to be current by Microsoft. The Upgrade
Advantage program available now, however, allows users to
enroll their current version licenses in the Software Assurance
program. All the eligibility requirements are available at
Microsoft's
site.
 ++
submitted by ; Christy

Reader Recommendation thanks to Richard
Onesuite.com Long Distance
https://www.onesuite.com/default.asp
I thought subscribers to the newsletter might be interested in
this
company that offers long distance telephone calls for 2.9
cents/minute.
I've been using them for three months now and the service has
worked
well and saved me money
(Continental US only)
Rates for other countries
https://www.onesuite.com/rates.htm
++

Longhorn Roundup  by By Jerry Pournelle
<http://www.byte.com/documents/s=7211/byt1022704757199/0603_pournel
le.html>

"Longhorn" is Microsoft's code name for the next version of
Windows,
the one to replace XP. WinHEC gave a few more details on Longhorn
(Windows NT Version 6?); we concentrated on the new stuff for
workstations.

Unfortunately, they didn't do much for color.
At past events, Microsoft has touted a more capable version of
sRGB
called "sRGB64." The "64" shows it doubles the number of bits used

for the internal modeling of colors; it seemed like a great idea
when
they promoted it at Seybold (the big print-graphics show) almost
three
years ago. sRGB64 has been renamed scRGB, and we won't ever see
it in XP, let alone Windows 2000, where it'd been originally
promised.
Make no mistake: Color management is best done right in the
operating system, controlling traffic among the scanner,
the printer, and the screen.
++
From; Byte.com

Web Window Killer ~ free
http://www.anarelion.com/aalku/WebWindowKiller/
Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP
Internet Explorer or Netscape or Opera 6 Browser
Sometimes you enter a Web site and advertisement windows start
popping up faster than you can close them.
This is especially annoying when that site is among your
favorites.
In most cases, the captions of those annoying windows are always
the same, so Web Window Killer automatically closes any window
with a caption or caption fragment that appears in a customizable
list.
++

RegView V 1.03
http://users.bigpond.com/graemebs/
RegView is a small application that allows students to safely
browse
the registry of their workstation.
Absolutely no edits are possible making the application an
appropriate
tool for teaching this aspect of Computer Systems.
It includes searchable notes on the registry. The install is 1.88
Mb and free.
++

McAfee and Microsoft May Be Getting Closer ~ By Ronna Abramson
Staff Reporter
http://www.thestreet.com/tech/ronnaabramson/10024700.html
Talk of McAfee.com
(MCAF:Nasdaq ~ news ~ commentary ~ research ~ analysis)
expanding its relationship with Microsoft
(MSFT:Nasdaq - news - commentary - research - analysis)
has been percolating for months, but details about just what that
might mean are finally starting to trickle out.

SNIP
Rodriguez said he's heard that Microsoft has developed a sort of
antivirus engine that allows for easier integration of any
antivirus
product. How the world's largest software maker would bundle
that into Windows remains to be seen, he said, noting that the
company will have to be very careful with the issue of "bundling,"

given its antitrust case still winding through court.

The deal would build on a relationship between McAfee and
Microsoft
that dates to May 2000, in which Microsoft offers free virus-scan
services to Hotmail and MSN users. Microsoft also offers a service

called McAfee Security Center on its messenger service in Windows
XP, which gives users virus alerts and includes a link to sign up
for
McAfee products.
++
thestreet.com

Kaufman Pravda v1.2
http://www.kaufmansoft.com/Final/Pravda_120.exe
627Kb (Win9x/2k/XP) Freeware

"Usenet is a wonderful resource, filled with millions of...
interesting
people and their posts. Kaufman Pravda is a news reader. Actually,

it's a very simple to use news reader with a graphical interface
that
any Windows user should be familiar with. It's quick and easy to
add
a new server, post messages, read messages, and do all of the
editing and tweaking you need to do. You can also save drafts, and

even sort according to read and unread messages. "
++
Taken from WINDOWS TIPS 4 ALL:
wintips4all-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxx

SokoMan version 2.01 freeware
http://www.lenagames.com/sokoman.htm
 Win 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP
SokoMan is a logical game similar to the famous Sokoban.
The goal of the game is to move the boxes inside a labyrinth to
the
special places and to make as few moves and pushes as possible.
The best results are automatically written to the High Scores
Table
together with their solutions that you can see afterwards as
cartoons.

The distribution package contains 10 free original levels ranging
from
the very simple to the very difficult.
After registration you will get the first set of 50 original
levels.
Afterwards you are supposed to get the following sets of levels,
each set containing 50 new levels.
Besides, you'll get the possibility to create your own levels and
edit them.
++

Tina's FrontPage Tips, by Tina Clarke

How to use a hover button within a framed page

By Clicking on a hover button in one frame you can change
the contents within another frame. To do this simply add the
following code to the list of parameters between the
<applet> and </applet> tags.
<param name="target" value=" The name of the frame ">

AccessFP ~ FrontPage Resource Centre
Site ~  http://www.accessfp.net/
Ezine & Forums ~ http://anyfrontpage.com/  FREE FP E-Books

Christies Computer Corner thanks to Christy;
<1stPicksoftware-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Empty Temp Folders
http://www.tucows.com/system/preview/212393.html
Freeware
Win95/98/ME/NT/2k

Empty Temp Folders is designed to help you clean out your
temporary folders as well as your cookies, history and URLs.
There is also a built-in clipboard and a shortcut manager.  You
can select the temporary folders to be
cleaned or you can let the program find them automatically.

~~~~~~~

Startmenu Without a Windows key ?
Some laptops and older keyboards (mine!) don't come with the
useful Windows key, a space-saving tactic, no doubt. Just because
you don't have a Windows key doesn't mean you can't access the
Start menu from the keyboard. Just press Ctrl-Esc and the Start
menu springs up, same as if you'd pressed the Windows key.

Was this forwarded to you ?
Get your own subscription here:
<1stpickPCtips-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Antivirus software is a good choice to scan your system for
possible
viruses, however no virus scanner is 100% effective as
manufactures
cannot keep up with the rapid change of viruses that happens
daily.
Be sure to update yours regularly.
http://www.hackfix.org/software/antivirus.html

Please feel free, to offer constructive criticism, as that will
help me keep
it interesting.
I also welcome any submissions about new products, web pages, or
articles of interest.

All submissions posted in the newsletter will be given proper
credit.
"MikesWhatsNews" believes in giving credit where credit is due but
at
times deadlines and information that is very important to readers
we
accidentally misspost an item.
If you believe something to be miscredited, or you know the author
of
one of the articles which we have posted as 'unknown', please do
let us
know so we can correct the information where applicable.

Many times in a article you may see a click here for more
information,
or to go to a link, these often will not work, as the original
information,
was taken from a page with HTML links.
This is when you will want to go to the webpage indicated in the
article,
++ ,for 'the rest of the story'
***MfM*** indicates that I am adding my own information to a
                  particular article.
Mike ~It's a good day if I learned something new.
You can read a sample of my newsletter on my web page
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/
My virus pages http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
mytech@xxxxxxxxxxx

~*~*~*~*~
Was this forwarded to you? Want to subscribe? Send an email
to mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info mikeswhatsnews" without
the quotes.

If you wish to unsubscribe from our list send an email to
mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe

mikeswhatsnews-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
~*~*~*~*~