[midtownbsd] My intro

  • From: Francisco Reyes <lists@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: midtownbsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 14:44:59 -0500 (EST)

5+ years of Freebsd.
Programmer by trade, but have got significant exposure to networking
concepts. Manage about 6 FreeBSd machines.

Recently getting involved with PostgreSQL and PHP for both work and
personal projects.

Currently working at a newspaper, Daily Racing Form drf.com, on the data
processing department.

Do some consulting on the side: PHP, PostgreSQL, Delphi, Foxpro, basic
networking for small companies. Trying to move away from actually having
to go to people's offices and more into web development.

I live in washington heights, 163 st, close to Columbia presbyterian
hospital.

My expectations of the list are rather low now. I think it is best to
start small and grow and not setup incredible goals which will never be
reached. In particular I like to think of this as an opportunity to
network ourselves, exchange leads to consulting/jobs, help each other
(paid and not paid) to maintain machines (remotely or on-site) and
possibly to have our own "questions" list. After all "questions" is way
too busy, plus it is a lot more rewarding to help answer questions from
someone you actually know.

My expertise level on FreeBSD I would say is beyond the basics, but I
would not call myself an expert. I can do all of the basics: setup apache,
php, ports, postgresql, ipfw, postfix, DNS.

I usually stay away from DNs and mail mostly due to the lack of good
connectivity or having enough rights on the machine.