[midtownbsd] My Intro?

  • From: Javier Frias <j@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: midtownbsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 02 Apr 2002 17:23:52 -0500

Solaris (since Jan '94 )
FreeBSD  ( since the 2.1.5-6 days ~'96 )
Linux  ( since late '96 afaic recall )

Sys Admin by trade, Engineer by education, jack of all hats by name.

For the last 5 years I've been either working as an admin at an isp/colo
facility or a dot'almostgone'. Currently freelancing/consulting
( read: laid off ). Before then, the Unix experience was at either
research or school.

Because of the isp experience, I've dealt with pretty much most type of
web systems , each time picking up the most I can as I go. Am pretty
handy with perl, have a decent grasp of c.  Experience wise,
I would consider myself somewhere above mid-level, I don't think you
ever stop learning, and my philosophy in life is to learn a bit of
everything and specialize in nothing ;)( that's what docs and man pages
are for ).

My expectations for the list/group are for  a place/forum where ideas
can be exchanged, questions can be answered, and  as Francisco said, we
can network with each other professionally.

I live in Inwood, at the Northest'most tip of Manhattan... ( near the
last natural woodlands in Manhattan, that's how far up ).. But I hang
out pretty much everywhere...

So, that about wraps it up... who's next?

-Javier

"They that can give up essential liberty to
obtain a little temporary safety deserve
neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin