[meego-fi] Re: Forming an association

  • From: timop.harkonen@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: meego-network-fi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 18:00:27 +0300

Afaik for mnfi to be a member it would have to be an association or some other
juridical instance of it's own. As I see it we simply state the network
meetings are activities that devaamo arranges. This way the network stuff would
pretty much stay as they are.

-Timo

Carol Chen kirjoitti Thu Aug 18 16:57:17 2011:

One thing I'm not very clear about (don't have experience with such
associations). So will MNFI be a member of Devaamo? Will Devaamo solicit
sponsorship for its members or is it up to MNFI? When sponsorship is obtained,
the money goes to Devaamo and MNFI requests for it?

-CC.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Carol Chen
cybette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Community Manager, MeeGo Network Finland (MNFI)
Organizer, Tampere MeeGo Network (TMN)
Local Device Program (LDP) Manager
http://meegonetwork.fi

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 4:10 PM, Artem Marchenko <artem.marchenko@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Good to see it started, Timo!

Here are a couple of bits from me.

> Before calling the founding meeting we need some input for at least the
> following things:
> - What is the purpose of the association?
A real goal for most of the meetup participants seems to go along the lines "it
would be cool to make something cool using some cool technology" with some
variations towards/against money and open/closed source.

I guess formally it would sound as something like "we strive to support
innovation on the cutting edge technologies in the Tampere region". Maybe with
being clear a little more on that it is mostly about software.

Not sure if many people would want to support exactly new businesses/startups
being built, however, I know that we've got plenty of people who want open
source to succeed. Could one of the goals be then about helping to
create/invent sustainable businesses that are based on open source
software/hardware in this way or another.

> - How the association raises it's funds?
>
> At least donations, support membership fees, selling goods and services, etc.
> Basically we need to list everything we come up with into the association's
> rules.
We can organize paid conferences. Selling services directly may be a little
wrong for a non-commercial association, but being an agent for its members may
sound OK. Then members-on-hire can pay back by higher membership fees or some
kind of agent fee. Or just by convincing their dayjob managers and clients to
sponsor the association.

> - Something else.

As well as having a "real" long-term goal and vision, it would be cool to have
something like close, starting goal from scratch. Smaller short-term goal could
help to validate the vision. As just an example such a goal could be to set up
a permanent weekly club on helping people to get over N9 issues or to set up a
workshop where potential members will come up with the activities to pursue.

Cheers,
Artem.